AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4723 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see we don't have a thread for this yet, but how about we discuss our reports on the upcoming Toshiba HD-XA2. Mines is scheduled to deliver in two weeks. Let's have some feedback on the first 1080p HD-DVD player ever made.

Cheers!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,324 Posts
reopened: I hear some XA2's have been received

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I luckily found and bought a HD-XA2 today. The store I bought it from just got it this morning and only received five. I paid $999.99 plus tax for it ($1,080 total). I didn't get much time to play with it, but here are the specs.

1. Structure is very similar to the HD-A2, except in a different top cover and the nice aluminum door at the front.

2. Loading time appears to be two seconds faster with a HD-DVD disc than the HD-A2.

3. Feels three pounds heavier than the HD-A2.

4. Picture quality is slightly better in 1080i (not much difference at all) than the HD-A2.

It was hooked up with my Toshiba MW26H82 26" HD CRT TV/DVD/VCR combo. The TV doesn't accept 1080p resolution, so I'll let someone post another review.

Will get back to you guys later tonight.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
I would imagine it would be very difficult to tell the difference between these players on a 26" screen.

·
Registered
64,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes /forum/post/0

I luckily found and bought a HD-XA2 today. The store I bought it from just got it this morning and only received five. I paid $999.99 plus tax for it ($1,080 total).

This is the AVS Forum equivalent of a religious person seeing the Virgin Mary on a toast (or a profile of Jesus in a spot of grease on the grill). It's a sign from above people, convert to HD-DVD or else!

·
Super Moderator
21,324 Posts
mod

could we please limit posts to USER REPORTS on the XA-2

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin /forum/post/0

mod

could we please limit posts to USER REPORTS on the XA-2

Yes!!

So anyone have it paired with a 1080p display?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Quote:

I luckily found and bought a HD-XA2 today. The store I bought it from just got it this morning and only received five.

Do you mind telling what store had it?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 /forum/post/0

Do you mind telling what store had it?

Fry's Electronics in Anaheim, CA. Not sure if they have anymore, so call before you go. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Quote:

Fry's Electronics in Anaheim, CA. Not sure if they have anymore, so call before you go. Good luck.

Was just curious, I've actually already ordered mine from Robert @ VE and should have it this Friday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up the HD-XA2 tonight

Just to preface I am a big DVD collector that only recently starting getting AV equipment to boost the movie viewing experience. As a result may not know that many technical details but will try to make a few comments

Build: Not the armor plated HD-A1 but quite solid. Still a fairly large unit compared to the other DVD players that I have had. Slimmer then the A-1 with what I would call a typical height and fairly deep. Certainly much cooler looking then the A-1

Remote: Same style as the A-1 but much more responsive. Not exactly what I was expecting but an improvement. Better and more readable labels. Personally I do not really care for this style of directional control but maybe that is because I rarely play video games

SetUp: Screens are simular to the A-1 but with a few more options

StartUp: My times were about 30-35 seconds to the welcome screen and about 45 seconds to begin play of HD DVD[King Kong] from power on

Picture: On my 42 inch 1080p LCD I noticed an upgrade in picture over the A-1 via the HDMI output. More then I was expecting
Detail and depth in King Kong seemed better to my eyes with more robust blacks

Audio: Functions differently over the analog outputs then the A-1. Hard to specify but the default base level is certainly different

Overall I am pretty pleased with this player so far. Note that in addition to the A-1 which I am now retiring I have the PS3 60 -- Ed

·
Registered
835 Posts
Excellent looking player, feels solid and is rather wide.

I can only acheive 480p on my 50" 720p DVI only Samsung Plasma via my HDMI-DVI adapter coming out of the Onkyo 674 which then connects to the DVI input on the TV.

Yet I switch to the PS3 with the same connection and I can get 1080i.

I can't wait to purchase a 1080p HDMI Plasma or LCD and I might not even wait for HDMI 1.3, that's how much this DVI connection bothers me.

Oh well.

P.S. That is the longest Remote I have ever used! It's like a sword! Looks and feels good though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

I can only acheive 480p on my 50" 720p DVI only Samsung Plasma via my HDMI-DVI adapter coming out of the Onkyo 674 which then connects to the DVI input on the TV.

I can't wait to purchase a 1080p HDMI Plasma or LCD and I might not even wait for HDMI 1.3, that's how much this DVI connection bothers me.

Oh well.

P.S. That is the longest Remote I have ever used! It's like a sword! Looks and feels good though.

Sorry if this is insulting...

Do you go into the menu of the HD-XA2 and ensure that the resolution is set propery...I think it's "up to 720p", or "1080i"?...

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

Oh well.

This might already be obvious to you, but did you try changing the video output setting to something higher than 480p?

·
Registered
835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx /forum/post/0

Sorry if this is insulting...

Do you go into the menu of the HD-XA2 and ensure that the resolution is set propery...I think it's "up to 720p", or "1080i"?...

Not insulted, sometimes the basic things are overlooked.

I do have the setting to 1080i.

As Yoda would say, "Very unfortunate this is".

Will take pics tomorrow. It's a really sexy looking player and yes I just said sexy, sorry, but it is.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Made in China = $999

Made in Japan = $499

Something is wrong here. Is it possible that HQV chip worth that much more?

1 - 20 of 4723 Posts