AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4725 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
silly things to check for, you lucky XA2 owners:

1) HDMI>DVI conversion, they get the Studio/PC levels thing sorted out yet?

2) Any hiccups/audio skips/barfs?

3) Do the menus in AVIA line up correctly?

4) Do the CD and DVD layers of DualDiscs play? Does the player magically decode DVD-A?

5) Is there better bass/speaker management facilities in the audio setup?

6) Load times: Can we get standardized testing? for example:

a) time from pressing eject on a powered off machine 'till the tray opens

b) time from when the tray closes after pressing play to when the title screen comes on for HD

c) ditto, but for DVD

thanks ahead of time, kids...

·
Registered
835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/0

4) Do the CD and DVD layers of DualDiscs play? Does the player magically decode DVD-A?

b) time from when the tray closes after pressing play to when the title screen comes on for HD

c) ditto, but for DVD

As far as I can tell the load times on the XA2 are just as quick as I remember my XBOX 360 add on HD-DVD drive being. Seriously, after reading so many horror stories on how slow the first generation players were, I was pleasantly surprised with the quickness on the XA2! Excelsior!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/0

c) ditto, but for DVD

So far no hiccups or audio skips of any kind. Only about 1 hour of movie play and testing with 3 movies but so far very encouraging. By this time my A-1 would have had some type of hiccup

Bass speaker management options in the audio set up appear to be the same as far as I can tell. The default bass level seems lower

There is a setup option for Twin Format Disc with HD DVD or DVD options that the A-1 did not have. I have no such disks to test

I do not use DVI

Will try and do more load time testing tomorrow when I have more play time

·
Registered
202 Posts
Picked up an XA2 tonite from VE (you're the man Robert & it was a pleasure meeting you Kosty) Have it hooked up through a Sony 5200ES receiver (via HDMI) going to a 42" 1080P Westinghouse...i've almost finished watching Serenity (HD-DVD) & the picture is phenomenal!! I have a XA1 hooked up to a Sony 60" SXRD & the Xbox 360 add-on already connected to the Westy...ive compared the add-on (hooked up w/VGA 1080P & component upconverted to 1080P through the 5200ES) & the XA2 (I have 2 copies of Serenity) w/some interesting results...as good as the add-on looked, the XA2 just beats the crap out of it...the picture is w/out a doubt brighter & sharper...really pops off the screen, more so than the add-on which i've been thrilled with (up until now, anyway) i'll try to do some more comparisons as soon as possible....just my initial reactions, but wow...i'm sitting here w/an ear to ear grin like some mental patient enjoying my new toy

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

Excellent looking player, feels solid and is rather wide.

I can only acheive 480p on my 50" 720p DVI only Samsung Plasma via my HDMI-DVI adapter coming out of the Onkyo 674 which then connects to the DVI input on the TV.

Yet I switch to the PS3 with the same connection and I can get 1080i.

I can't wait to purchase a 1080p HDMI Plasma or LCD and I might not even wait for HDMI 1.3, that's how much this DVI connection bothers me.

Oh well.

P.S. That is the longest Remote I have ever used! It's like a sword! Looks and feels good though.

I think you have the same bug many A2 users have reported with HDMI>DVI setups. If you set the player to "up to 1080i" it will still default to 480p on some DVI equipped displays.

Jim

·
Registered
695 Posts
Can somebody please tell us how the XA2 handles fastforward and rewind? The A2 pauses first then does a choppy rewind then pauses again when play is resumed then there is no audio for a cople of seconds before normal play. I find it very annoying and am returning my A2 becasue of it. If this does not happen with the XA2, VE here I come! I know it might sound like a petty consideration, but it drives me crazy.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 /forum/post/0

Picked up an XA2 tonite from VE (you're the man Robert & it was a pleasure meeting you Costi) Have it hooked up through a Sony 5200ES receiver (via HDMI) going to a 42" 1080P Westinghouse...i've almost finished watching Serenity (HD-DVD) & the picture is phenomenal!! I have a XA1 hooked up to a Sony 60" SXRD & the Xbox 360 add-on already connected to the Westy...ive compared the add-on (hooked up w/VGA 1080P & component upconverted to 1080P through the 5200ES) & the XA2 (I have 2 copies of Serenity) w/some interesting results...as good as the add-on looked, the XA2 just beats the crap out of it...the picture is w/out a doubt brighter & sharper...really pops off the screen, more so than the add-on which i've been thrilled with (up until now, anyway) i'll try to do some more comparisons as soon as possible....just my initial reactions, but wow...i'm sitting here w/an ear to ear grin like some mental patient enjoying my new toy

Great to have met you at VE.

Have you tried the standard DVD upconversion yet? I am dying to hear about the Silicon Optix Reon HQV chips performance.

very very jealous of you guys

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan2424 /forum/post/0

Picked up an XA2 tonite from VE (you're the man Robert & it was a pleasure meeting you Costi) Have it hooked up through a Sony 5200ES receiver (via HDMI) going to a 42" 1080P Westinghouse...i've almost finished watching Serenity (HD-DVD) & the picture is phenomenal!! I have a XA1 hooked up to a Sony 60" SXRD & the Xbox 360 add-on already connected to the Westy...ive compared the add-on (hooked up w/VGA 1080P & component upconverted to 1080P through the 5200ES) & the XA2 (I have 2 copies of Serenity) w/some interesting results...as good as the add-on looked, the XA2 just beats the crap out of it...the picture is w/out a doubt brighter & sharper...really pops off the screen, more so than the add-on which i've been thrilled with (up until now, anyway) i'll try to do some more comparisons as soon as possible....just my initial reactions, but wow...i'm sitting here w/an ear to ear grin like some mental patient enjoying my new toy

Can you or someone else who has extra time in the future, compare 1080i thru component with the 360 addon vs the XA2 for HD and SD using a double layer DVD backup disk with out copy protection?

I am really more interested in SD and component output to see how the special DAC's work.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman /forum/post/0

I think you have the same bug many A2 users have reported with HDMI>DVI setups. If you set the player to "up to 1080i" it will still default to 480p on some DVI equipped displays.

Jim

So what will happen if I use an AVR as a switcher with the XA2 HDMI>HDMI on the AVR, and then HDMI>DVI to the HDTV (Panny 1080p)?

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
What's the load time on this.Can somone clock it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a SANYO Z4 connected via HDMI to a TOSHIBA HDA1 player.

My question is the following:

Regarding different color scales an set ups, which would you consider to be your favourite patterns for this display?

It happens in my case that I personally have different set ups according to whick studiio label the HD DVD movie is.

For example UNIVERSAL tittles look great in one particular mode where PARAMOUNT tittles look good in another.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For those of us with 768p resolution displays, what is the 'ideal' output from the XA-2?

Since most HD DVD discs are 1080p, is that what you would set the resolution output at from the player? And, is the Reon HQV chip doing work at all resolutions for HD and SD discs?

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
On a 720p display does the HD XA2 with the new Reon processor do better at having the resolution set at 720P?

Before with the HD A1 and XA1 it was better to have your display convert 1080i output to its native resolution. Does the new Reon change that equation?

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Since this is the official "First Users Without an XA2 Only Thread(be sure to post at least once something like "yeah, what do you owners think of this unit compared to the DVD player on my PS2 going to my 20" Cosco TV/VCR combo?")" . This way no one can find any useful information about this player.

So to be completely on topic I just received my XA2.................

shipping notice!!

It is a little whiter than the order form suggested it would be. But the black lettering is a bit boring and understated. I would suggest viewing it using a good dinterlacer/upconverting text processing e-mailificator to bring out the natural tones in the $ sign. Hopefully by the time I get it and hook it up someone will start another thread where information can be posted about the unit in a useful manner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just ordered my XA2 from Robert at Value Electronics. If your reading this Robert thank you for your help it was great talking to you on the phone.

I can't wait to get this player and hook it up to my Pioneer FHD1.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Despite the fact many of the posts are from people who do not have XA2s, doesn't it seem they are asking good pointed questions that will help the owners provide the full range of information? A little extra scrolling will not kill anyone - and besides the machines have only been available for one evening for a few people - this thread should get much more informative in the next few days, esp. over the weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/0

What's the load time on this.Can somone clock it?

Have timed this several times now and appears to be 40-45 seconds to drawer open from power on and then about 30 seconds to load and play the HD DVD -- Ed

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Can anyone check what zoom/aspect features, if any, that the player has?

I of course am looking for a vertical stretch zoom for 2.35:1 movies.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Vspec /forum/post/0

Can anyone check what zoom/aspect features, if any, that the player has?

I of course am looking for a vertical stretch zoom for 2.35:1 movies.

Checked the manual and I see no information regarding zoom or aspect features nor have I encountered any such options...

As detailed in the manual on page 37 the player DOES have a large number of picture settings that the HD-A1 did not have. Options such as brightness -- color -- tint -- along with some more specialized options...Ed

21 - 40 of 4725 Posts