AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4725 of 4725 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I too had an issue with my 93 OPPO and found out that if your using a 4k tv with deep Color turn 4:2:2 on, it didn’t pass audio turned of audio returned. This may be the issue your hddvd player also.

·
Registered
15,306 Posts
Popping in here near the end of 2019 to say: My Onkyo HD DVD player is still going strong. It's built like a beast!

(I still have so many HD DVDs that I can't be bothered trying to get rid of them).

Reactions: RonAlam

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Having read the last few pages... I have not found a problem quite like mine, but as I am using a Denon 2700H, it does make me wonder.

I just moved and had not used my XA-2 in quite some time... and during the move a gave away my A35 thinking I would never need it again.

After the move, I set up a new theater with mostly new components (projector and receiver), and everything played nicely... except the XA2. I do get a picture onscreen, but it is very low rez and looks like a young child colored it with crayons.

I have re-initialized the unit and even tried to get it to update via an ethernet connection (which could not contact the server of course), but nothing so far has made any difference. I have tried changing out cables (they are premium high-speed cables), but that did not make any difference either.

After reading here I think I am going to try hooking the player through the Denon with component cables and possibly HDMI straight to the projector to see if removing the Denon from the chain fixes the problem.

If anyone has seen this particular problem... please let me know what solution you found!!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Having read the last few pages... I have not found a problem quite like mine, but as I am using a Denon 2700H, it does make me wonder.

I just moved and had not used my XA-2 in quite some time... and during the move a gave away my A35 thinking I would never need it again.

After the move, I set up a new theater with mostly new components (projector and receiver), and everything played nicely... except the XA2. I do get a picture onscreen, but it is very low rez and looks like a young child colored it with crayons.

I have re-initialized the unit and even tried to get it to update via an ethernet connection (which could not contact the server of course), but nothing so far has made any difference. I have tried changing out cables (they are premium high-speed cables), but that did not make any difference either.

After reading here I think I am going to try hooking the player through the Denon with component cables and possibly HDMI straight to the projector to see if removing the Denon from the chain fixes the problem.

If anyone has seen this particular problem... please let me know what solution you found!!!
I suppose I too would try removing the Denon from the equation and hooking the XA-2 directly to the projector first.

That said, I would then be sure to use certified premium hdmi cables. Nothing extravagant needed, monoprice will suffice. Make sure both the cable from your receiver to the XA-2 and the cable from your receiver to the projector both are these. (And wouldn't hurt (much) to upgrade the rest of the cables as well.)

Of course it could be something else, perhaps an XA-2 setting, but yes with Denon I found the cable upgrade to be necessary after the final firmware update for my receiver happened a couple/three years back. (I have a plasma set still.)

(I'm also using a A35 now (gave up on XA-2 due to sticky/stubborn drawer), every once in a while anyway.)

4721 - 4725 of 4725 Posts