AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - couldn't find anything in the search so wanted to ask some experts.

I currently have a Toshiba SD-1200 DVD player that I purchased in 2000. I am thinking of upgrading it to a Panny S97 or perhaps a Sammy 941 with HDMI when I get a new TV, but was curious if the DVD player I own is progressive scan or not - or if it was 480i. I checked every site I could find and there was no mention of it. I am new to some of this stuff, is there an "easy" way to tell if this DVD player is PS? Here is a link to it on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...12818?v=glance

Thank you much! This player has component output.

· Registered
3,828 Posts
I did a quick Google and couldn't find anywhere that had full specs or that said it IS progressive. I'm thinking, progressive players were still pretty new in 2000, it may well be that this model is not.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Acura - you are always a help. I am "hoping" that it isn't because that will make a new player all the more impressive looking. hehehhe

· Registered
135 Posts
Wow, a Toshiba 1200 fan club in 2004! I think it's a great player and, at the time, represented great value. I yet to have any problems with it failing to read a DVD, including rentals (knock on wood).

To answer your question, it is NOT a progressive scan DVD player. However, it does have component video output, which puts it way ahead of my TV (S-cable will have to be good enough for now). That said, I get the impression you were going to get a new DVD player no matter what the answer was. ;)

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I am using, gulp, composite cable with this player and I think it looks amazing... LOL. Will I be blown away when I get a new DVD player that has progressive scan? Does i to p = much better pq, or is it hard to tell? I can't wait for a new player, although this one has been great...

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Lodey, I had (and still have) a Sony DVP-S7000, Sony's first DVD player. It was a kickbutt DVD player, but interlaced only.

A few months ago, I bought a Pan. XP30 progressive DVD player. I spent a couple of hours comparing both units (into different component inputs on my tv, same DVD in both players cued to the same movie, same time).

It was almost impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Now, this may not be representative of all peoples' situations and sets. The diff. is so subtle because that Sony has an excellent optical system and MPEG decoder in it. It gives my tv a clean, pure, unmacroblocked signal. All the tv has to do, and it does HAVE to bec. it is a 720p set, is convert the 480i to 480p. The Panasonic is one of the best interlaced players made in the last 5 years. And I ended up giving IT the slightest edge in pic quality over the Sony.

But to tell you the truth, the contest could have gone either way. A friend who was comparing with me put the two at a dead heat.

Now, since you are considering an upconverting player, and bec. you are also paying close attention to what the tv does with the signal it receives (like the Mitsu. DLP), and you plan to try to keep that signal all digital all the way ... you may see a bigger difference. But I recommend trying your old player on whatever new tv you get ... spend some time getting used to the improvement just in going to a HD set. Then, find/buy an upconverting player from a place where you can return it if you find it doesn't really add much enhancement of the DVD quality.

Have fun !!

P.s.. I was going to list all available models of tv being currently sold on your other thread, just to insure I won :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.