AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any sizeable differences between these two? They go for $ 50 difference on the Toshiba website - is it worth it to buy the SD4700 instead of the SD3750 ?

I heard the SD3750 has DTS decoding while the other one doesn't, but the SD4700 plays DVD-A.

Help me make a decision!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The only difference is:

The 4700 has a better remote than the 3750.

The 4700 plays DVD-Audio and the 3750 doesn't.

The 4700 has a small blue colored plate on the front, while the 3750 is all black.

I own the 3750.

--Randy Schissler

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they have exactly the same picture circuitry and thus quality?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Rschissler

Do you know if the SD-5700 has the same PQ as the SD-4700 and the 3750? I bought a SD-5700 and A-B it with my RP-56 and I was shocked at how much sharper and more detailed the SD-5700's picture was over the RP56.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
188 Posts
How does the DD5.1 sound compare between the Toshiba units and the Panasonic RP56 (or the RP91 if anyone has done that comparison)?

Frank

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know, but theoretically it seems to me that if you are using a coaxial/optical connection to the audio receiver, the sound should be the same. I'd think that the DVD player merely dumps the raw audio data bitstream to the receiver for processing.

--Randy Schissler

·
Registered
338 Posts
leckian,

That's interesting to hear. I own a SD5700 and I'm happy with the PQ overall, but I've heard on this forum that the PQ on the RP56 is significantly better.

-marius

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, i've heard that too. But isn't it OOP these days?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
marius

I tested the RP56 and the SD-5700 with the STudio Experience 13HD projector with a 76.6" wide screen. The 13HD has 2 sets of component video in so I could quickly toggle between the 2 players. I had Knights Tale playing on both players and 2 friends helping me evaluate the pictures. We all agreed the SD-5700 was superior by a significant amount. Both players displayed very good deinterlacing. When toggling from the RP56 to the SD-5700 one was struck with a noticeably sharper picture. When examining each picture closely the SD-5700 eas capable of revealing more detail. For example closeups of actors faces with the SD-5700 you were able to see quite a bit more detail in the actor's skin texture. The only area the RP-5600 is superior is in layer changes where it is faster. I still have both DVD players hooked up but since I got the Tosh I have not used the RP56 at all.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anybody have a feel for the reliability of the Tosh 3750? I've heard that Tosh video units, whether they be monitors or DVD players are not that reliable compared to other manufacturers.

Hank

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lenny,

Did you use an objective test such as the Avia resolution pattern to make the comparison between the two players? I ask this question because on my setup, the RP56 resolves the 6.75 MHz circle perfectly. In addition, there is no ringing or edge enhancement seen adjacent to sharp transitions in the image. Since 6.75 MHz represents the upper limit of detail that can be encoded on DVD, I fail to see how the 5700 could produce a more detailed picture than the 56? At best, it would produce the same amount of detail or it could have an artificially boosted response at the high frequency end to give the impression of extra detail without actually producing any.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To update everyone, i bought the SD4700, and am expecting it tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'd have to agree with Cinemaphile. Not to at all say that Lenny didn't see what he saw, but the RP-56 has a pretty flat response all the way out to 6.75 (actually 13.5 MHz because it's progressive). There is a little roll-off at the top, which is to be expected, but even if the Toshiba were ruler-flat, I wouldn't expect the kind of differences he's talking about.

It seems to me that the most likely case is that the Toshiba is adding some extra sharpness boost. If so, that's not necessarily a good thing, though clearly it helps sell players.

Don

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 4700 - it's GREAT. Toshiba players are highly reliable, too.

As far as DD quality which someone mentioned, it's EXCELLENT. I have it connected to a killer receiver though (Pioneer Elite 49TX) which makes it sound even better. :D

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
To those questioning my evaluation I must say that the differences were more than subtle and the size of my screen allowed for a good test. I was very surprised and did not expect the Toshiba to look any better or even as good. There was actual detail missing with the RP56. For example slight indentations in facial complexion revealed with the Toshiba were either smooth or only vaguely visible. My two friends immediately said the Toshiba was better and I was the naysayer but I kept going over and over the comparison and had to agree that the Toshiba was better, sharper, more detailed picture.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
130 Posts
Leckian, how does it handle interlaced video? I'm waiting for a while to purchase a HDTV/digital monitor and until then am stuck with an old RPTV.

Looks like you made a good choice. Since I'm very interested in these models, I did a search regarding the Zoran chip and picked up a few items.

Time Mag's 2001 Invention of the Year:
Quote:
Zoran's Vaddis processor offers Toshiba DVD player listeners a wider frequency response, a vastly improved dynamic range, and the more natural sound experience of DVD-Audio. In addition, the progressive scan and video

enhancement filtering capability of the Vaddis V provides sharper images, optimizing the consumer's total home theater experience," said Michael L. Wood, Vice President and General Manager, Home Entertainment Division at Zoran.
and

Quote:
In a review by Home Theater Magazine, Toshiba’s SD-5700 received an excellent video performance rating, a solid DVD-Audio and HDCD performance score, and an excellent value rating
Regards,

Hank

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just one more question - does the SD4700 have on-board DTS decoding or not? I received it today and am waiting to hook it up to my PJ at night, but the manual doesn't mention whether it has DTS decoding or not. It DOES have the 6-channel outputs for DVD-A though.

Cheers

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Laarson
Just one more question - does the SD4700 have on-board DTS decoding or not?
I believe it does, although maybe it only does DD 5.1 (if you really need it to, i.e., your A/V receiver doesn't accept digital and do its own DTS/DD decoding). Just use the 6 connectors to your receiver -- everything comes through them, to include DVD-A (for that, however, you'll have to make an adjustment in the dvd player's menus).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.