AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought a Hitachi 51s715. I really love it. DVD's look near HD, even with my old Panny RV-30 dvd player. My problem is that my old Panny won't play anything burned. So I am looking at new dvd players under $150.

I imagine the upscaler in my Hitachi is probably better than any dvd player in this price range, but I'm not sure. Benchmark rates the 5980 highly, and it has the HDMI to match my Hitachi, but it also calls the 588a "a steal". And it seems some here on the forum are not the happiest with reliability or quality of the 5980.

If I don't get an upscaler, I am looking at possibly the Sony ns50p or the Tosh sd3980. I found a Panny s27 on clearance last week, took it home and hooked it up, and was not happy with the PQ, so I returned it. I also saw a Sony s575 on clearance, but when the salesman hooked it up to a Sony LCD big screen, PQ was not good on it either, had a lot of ghosting.

Is it worth it to get an upscaler in this price range, or am I better off to get the cheaper Tosh or Sony? Or is it even possible to match the PQ of my old Panny with a dvd player less than $100?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't know about the Toshiba 5980, but I had a Tosh 5970 and I absolutely hated it. The picture was ok, but the remote control and panel buttons were terribly non-responsive. Plus it loved to lock up on some of my store bought DVDs which are still in mint condition. I will forever avoid Toshiba DVD players unless I hear they make a huge improvement in quality.

I replaced it with a Samsung 850 and I am much happier with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Palmer
I have no opinion on this whatsoever.
So...you're telling me your opinion is that you have no opinion? :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am using the SD-5980 with my AE700 projector. I bought it for the HDMI rather than for the upconversion (because the AE700 is supposed to have a decent scaler) but I was surprised to find that I prefer the players upconversion, i.e., the PQ is outstanding with a 720p output with this player, slightly less so with a 480p output (both HDMI).

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish217
I bought the sd5980 the other day. This player is def staying. The picture is awesome!
Just picked up this player, going to check it out tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
Just picked up this player, going to check it out tonight.
So...how did it check out for you?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish217
So...how did it check out for you?
So far so good, in my brief moment after set up, which is very easy to do with the 5980, the picture is very clear, sharp and detailed. I have it hooked up to my Panny LCD flat panel via HDMI set at 720P. The player's scaler appears to be better than my TV's. I need to do some tweaks because some of the blacks appear to be crushed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmetal
I don't know about the Toshiba 5980, but I had a Tosh 5970 and I absolutely hated it. The picture was ok, but the remote control and panel buttons were terribly non-responsive. Plus it loved to lock up on some of my store bought DVDs which are still in mint condition. I will forever avoid Toshiba DVD players unless I hear they make a huge improvement in quality.

I replaced it with a Samsung 850 and I am much happier with it.
Hmmmm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.