AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an A2 and 720p projector, waiting for it to be delievered (18 more days..) and thinking about BR and all those titles and seeing lots of you guys mentioning 'HD-DVD and upconverted BR exclusives is fine for me' and I wish I knew how good (or poor) SD upconversion really is. I've noticed the improvement from plain dvd to progressive over component to a HDTV, cleaner picture no scan lines. I've also seen a LOT of DVDs on my computer. I have a 30" monitor that I watch a lot of movies on, and I think VLC is a pretty good DVD player. So given these 3 reference points (SD on typical analog tv, progressive signal to HDTV and PC viewing on nice monitor) where does A2 upconversion rate?

· Registered
968 Posts
I have had my A2 for only a few weeks, but it does a better job of up-conversion on SD DVDs then my Oppo OPDV971H, which is a very highly rated up-converter. The A2 image looks more detailed and sharper than the Oppo. I do my viewing on a 62" 1080P Toshiba from about 9 ft. Star Wars VI looked very nice, some times approaching the HD I see on some cable channels.

· Banned
1,749 Posts
I just got my XA2 and am amazed at how good sd dvds look. I'm still using a 720P projector but am on the prebuy list for the RS1. I have been using TheaterTek on my HTPC and IMO it is not contest, the XA2 is a winner. I expected it to look better once I get the RS1, but had no idea it would look this good on 720p.

I'm going from HDMI to DVI and have had no problems. Also I'm using Bitstream over spdif for audio and the sound is also a step up from the HTPC spdif. I'm not sure why as I thought a bitstream would be the same with either, but there is a clear difference in sound.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that's helpful. So it's a step up from all 3 that I've seen. I'll look forward to it. As for the bitstream it sounds better because it's sending the higher bitrate DTS stream (1.5mb) vs the old DD or vanilla DTS we're used to from DTS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.