AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i almost commited to buying the new 56hm195...until I found out there is no PC input. sooooo...3 questions for you guys...

1. a. Is there ANY way to get a 1080p signal into this set? b. Is the HDMI really limited to only 720p/1080i?

My plans for this screen are to play XBOX 360 (720p), and use it with Windows Media center and PC games (at 1920x 1080...720p just doesn't cut it for pc use...). Eventually I would like to hook up a PS3 as well. (which is native 1080p)

The reason i was going to go for the toshiba in the first place was because it has a dedicated game mode (lag is not an option).... now i'm not sure what to do. Honestly, movies and tv are only secondary to me until good, abundant content comes out (more channels, bluray vs hd dvd etc...)

2. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a 1080p image onto the set through: a. firewire? or b. through the "THINC" (Toshiba Home Interactive Network Connection)???

3. Are there any other 1080p sets out there that can meet my needs? (well, wants really...)

I like DLP for the contrast, but I am open to suggestions. Bear in mind that i prefer rear projection for cost savings as opposed to shelling out my first born for a flatpanel.

any and all help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Cinema Series version, the 56HMX195 sounds like the one you want. Those are the ones that will have the THINC network and a PC input. The 56HM195 will not have THINC. I've been waiting for the 62" model myself. It looks like the regular models will be coming out toward the end of this month, so I'm guessing it will be mid to late September for the Cinema Series ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, i didn't think the hm and mx models were any different, but it looks like you are right. Thanks so much... now the long wait till it comes out! well xbox comes out in november anyways...but it would have been sweet to have some hdtv pc games running...!

i guess this will let me wait for capable 3d card prices to go down.

thanks again

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Last years Toshiba DLPs had an issue with the digital HDMI inputs. When using a PC at 720p there was ghosting of text etc,

it was not possible to get a solid 1:1 pixel mapped image.

Hopefully that has changed with this years models 720p and 1080p, I have not heard yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kregstrong, from what i've read, toshiba's have a dedicated gaming mode that mostly eliminates lag. sorry, no first hand experience. Other ppl on the forum have definitely been satisfied with the previous iteration of toshiba's "game mode"

JackLT, thats why i needed PC input (D-sub or 1080p capable DVI) i plan to do a small amount of web browsing on this screen too

1:1 is very important to me too, i hope the cinema series can do it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanwanteng
kregstrong, from what i've read, toshiba's have a dedicated gaming mode that mostly eliminates lag. sorry, no first hand experience. Other ppl on the forum have definitely been satisfied with the previous iteration of toshiba's "game mode"

JackLT, thats why i needed PC input (D-sub or 1080p capable DVI) i plan to do a small amount of web browsing on this screen too

1:1 is very important to me too, i hope the cinema series can do it.
The Cinema series will have THINC(network connection) + a PC input, and a couple of other smaller enhancements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.