AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I still haven't seen an official announcement from Toshiba regarding their 2003-04 RPTV model lineup, we must be getting fairly close. I found this page over at OneCall.com, and even though they've been listing the new models as coming in May and July for a while now, they are now listing prices on a couple of the new models. For example, the 51HX83 (which I assume replaces the 50HDX82) is listed at $2199. They also appear to have added some additional models that were not previously listed.

They (OneCall) are also starting to clear out some of the 2002 models (the 50H82 in particular).

I'm pretty excited to learn some more details about the new models. About 3 months ago I began researching my next TV purchase, and the Toshiba HDX82 models rose to the top of my list. Now with the 2003-04 models only 2-3 months away, I'm definitely going to wait before making a purchase. I may still end up getting an 02-03 model to save some money, but I at least need to get specs on the new models before making a decision.

If anyone has more details on the new models, please share your info!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the new Toshiba's will have firewire support even on sets without integrated HDTV tuners or that they will have firewire on sets with integrated tuners?

The former would definitely be worth waiting for, but integrated HD tuners don't really get me excited because of the additional cost for something that might never be used with a DirecTV system.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I pretty sure those images on the One Call site are not correct. Toshiba's national sales conference is this weekend, so more accurate information should start flowing soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnny,

I'm sure the images are just placeholders as well.

What are the dates for the sales conference? Does Toshiba ever make product announcements at this conference? To my knowledge, Toshiba has not yet announced their new models at all.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Obviously, the 1394 is only for integrated sets. The non-integrated sets lack both tuners and MPEG decoders. Without the latter, no existing 1394 sources would display a picture.

Mark

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, of course you are right, Mark. I forgot that non-integrated sets wouldn't have an MPEG decoder, making firewire inputs on such a set almost useless.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No, they don't make product announcements at the sales conference. As far as I know, they basically let the Toshiba sales reps know what's coming, then it's up to the reps to spread the word to the dealers (some info might be embargoed 'til a certain date). Then there will be public announcements after that.

When I know something, I'll certainly post it, as allowed by Toshiba.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The only info that I've seen, has been for the new integrated models at www.twice.com - 1/20/2003 - "Toshiba Highlights Integrated HDTV Plans", Warp. Quote: " Although details will be announced at its May dealer show, Ramirez [Toshiba's marketing VP] said Toshiba plans to offer lines of fully integrated sets in both its TheaterWide HDTV Series and its Cinema Series HDTV series. All models will have both 8-VSB terrestrial and QAM cable digital tuners, and both IEEE1394 and HDMI digital interfaces." Note that these sets will be the first with HDMI. The new integrated sets that have been announced from Mits, JVC, and Sony will have DVI. Dick

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Very cool to have not just Firewire but also HDMI (better connectors and cables that vanilla DVI).

Very cool to have not just 8VSB but also QAM on the tuners.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I wonder if the sets are POD / cable-agreement capable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed that OneCall has pulled off the upcoming Toshiba models. Maybe the new models are not coming out in the May/June/July period. I talked to a local dealer about the new models, he told me that the store owner had not yet seen of the new models. So....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
With the way Future Shop and other Canadian retailers are clearning out their Toshiba RPTV sets I can't imagine the release of the 83 models being that far off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ebonugli
I just noticed that OneCall has pulled off the upcoming Toshiba models. Maybe the new models are not coming out in the May/June/July period. I talked to a local dealer about the new models, he told me that the store owner had not yet seen of the new models. So....
I just looked, and the new models are still there. The removed prices on one or two of them, tho. My bet is that the first new models will hit the street within 75 days.

Based on the model numbers, does anyone want to speculate as to features? I'll go first. Note: everything below is *pure* speculation and opinion.

42H83 - This one's pretty easy. It will replace the 42H82, but I'm betting the H83's will all have a DVI-HDCP input whereas the H82's did not.

46H83 - 46" version of the H83. Intriguing because this is a new size for Toshiba.

51H83 - 51" version of the H83. Replaces the 50H82. Interesting that they decided to drop the 50" models for 51" models. Perhaps they felt they needed to compete better on paper with Hitachi?

65H83 - 65" version of the H83. Replaces the 65H82.

Then we have the xxHX83 models, which will be the "Cinema Series" line, and replace the xxHDX82 line.

Finally, and perhaps most intriguing, we have the H93 and HX93 models. There were no H92 models, so these don't appear to be direct replacements for any current models. Based on the information DICK CONWAY posted from TWICE, I'm betting the 93 models are the ones with the integrated tuners and firewire.

It will be interesting to compare MSRP on these sets once that info is released. And especially interested should be comparing the H83's vs. the HX83's, since DVI will no longer be a differentiator.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Shweeeeet. 65" LCOS at $7500 MSRP. I'm there. Hurry up October already. Although that 57" at $5500 MSRP could be a better bang for the buck for me.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
The race is on!!! HD3, SXRD and (3 chip) LCOS are running neck and neck...and neck. Ooh man - decisions, decisions. Who will win this race? Only time will tell - and , as they say, "Timing is everything!"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.