AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Toshiba 20AF44 20" Flat Screen SDTV CRT last year for my bedroom. I do have many complaints about it, but that's a different story. What I am wondering is this: I think I read that Toshiba's TVs have recently been actually made by Orion. Is this true and is this true for my TV? I think that would explain many, if not all, of the problems.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7289
I got a Toshiba 20AF44 20" Flat Screen SDTV CRT last year for my bedroom. I do have many complaints about it, but that's a different story. What I am wondering is this: I think I read that Toshiba's TVs have recently been actually made by Orion. Is this true and is this true for my TV? I think that would explain many, if not all, of the problems.
Did your TV broke? :cool: Yes, your Toshiba 20AF44 was fully made and assembled by Orion Electric Co. in Thailand. This one comes with an Orion-made picture tube. Would you buy Toshiba or Orion again after your experience?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Did your TV broke? :cool: Yes, your Toshiba 20AF44 was fully made and assembled by Orion in Thailand. This one comes with an Orion-made picture tube. Would you buy Toshiba or Orion again after your experience?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I really wouldn't. Vertical Scan Modulation makes text in video games look terrible. The Invar Shadow Mask makes the contrast blindingly high. The color decoder is awful. Red's are WAY too bright, with no way of fixing this, and they bleed like crazy. Also, vertical lines get all greenish-purple and things like straight (not sure if it has to be necessarily vertical) black or dark lines against white or light backgrounds get HORRIBLY distorted and curve insanely much. A straight line would look like a bow with an arrow being pulled back on the string. To top it all off, I can see that much of the image on the sides, maybe even on the top and bottom, is just cut right off. It's all VERY disappointing...

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
No, I really wouldn't. Vertical Scan Modulation makes text in video games look terrible. The Invar Shadow Mask makes the contrast blindingly high. The color decoder is awful. Red's are WAY too bright, with no way of fixing this, and they bleed like crazy. Also, vertical lines get all greenish-purple and things like straight (not sure if it has to be necessarily vertical) black or dark lines against white or light backgrounds get HORRIBLY distorted and curve insanely much. A straight line would look like a bow with an arrow being pulled back on the string. To top it all off, I can see that much of the image on the sides, maybe even on the top and bottom, is just cut right off. It's all VERY disappointing...
Your TV probably wasn't assembled very well from the factory. That sucks, though. Well, at least you have already went through the Orion brand experience.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Orion brand experience? :( There's an entire experience related to this brand?!

Anyway, I've been reading about other people having the same complaints as me, so I guess it's just Orion, and not my individual TV.

Off topic, but I've been looking at HDTVs recently as I'll have to buy one soon, but there are so many factors in deciding to buy one! I think the worst thing is how there are so many different resolutions that are not true 720p/1080i, etc. Also, hearing about SD images being scaled up and loosing quality doesn't sound very nice to me. How would video games look like this?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
The Orion brand experience? :( There's an entire experience related to this brand?!

Anyway, I've been reading about other people having the same complaints as me, so I guess it's just Orion, and not my individual TV.

Off topic, but I've been looking at HDTVs recently as I'll have to buy one soon, but there are so many factors in deciding to buy one! I think the worst thing is how there are so many different resolutions that are not true 720p/1080i, etc. Also, hearing about SD images being scaled up and loosing quality doesn't sound very nice to me. How would video games look like this?
Orion designed all the technical specs in the TVs. Orion assemble the boards, put all the parts together in the TVs, pack the TVs into the boxes, and then ship them to retailers.

The difference between 720p and 1080i is the progressive and interlace setting. I don't really know which one looks the best.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:

Orion designed all the technical specs in the TVs. Orion assemble the boards, put all the parts together in the TVs, pack the TVs into the boxes, and then ship them to retailers.

The difference between 720p and 1080i is the progressive and interlace setting. I don't really know which one looks the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.