AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen, or rather can't see, the Sanyo HT30746. But I can see that on walmart.com it's going for under $450, whereas the Toshiba 30HF66 goes for over $700 on amazon.com.

Are there any reviews comparing the two, or can anyone who has seen them side by side offer any comments? These are both 30" HDTV CRT displays, and I can't understand the price discrepancy.... If I order the Sanyo, will I be in for an upleasant surprise?

·
Registered
836 Posts
The Toshiba has a better, more vivid picture, but the Sanyo is much more solid and dependable.

A lot of people have problems with Toshiba CRTs under 34". They're assembled by Orion and are at risk of being a lemon. I must've gotten lucky with my Toshiba 26HF. It has yet to give me any problems(1 year in), and unmistakably looks better than my friend's 28" Wal-Mart HD Sanyo.

If you get the Toshiba, get a warranty plan. If you get the Sanyo, settle for a slightly blurry picture and dull-ish colors.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had that Sanyo before and if anyone considers that to be good than the word has no meaning. I've also had the Samsung TX-S3082WHX and now own the Sony KD-34XBR970. Both have an infinately better picture than the Sanyo. The Sanyo had the dirtiest, grainiest PQ both in SD and HD that I've personally ever seen in a CRT HDTV. The one bad problem the Samsung had was pretty severe bowing in the picture but other than that it was very nice. If anyone can get one with an average amount of bowing for CRTs rather than the severe case of it that I had than they are getting one hell of of deal because this HDTV has damned good PQ, attractive design, and lots of inputs for a low price. But I've seen three of these and all of them had the problem so the poor geometry may be more the norm than the exception. I have no complaints with the XBR970, it has performed excellently for me all around and is the CRT currently on the market that I recommend to everyone. Its price is a little bit more than what some people are willing to spend but the bump up in quality easily makes it worth it imo. I can't comment on Toshiba because I have no experience with those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.