AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Toshiba 30HF83 and am very happy with it, except for one pretty rough problem. When viewing interlaced material (mainly video games) through S-Video, the image turns out to be choppy during fast motion, and there is even a slight lag after button presses that wasn't there before. I assume this is because it converts all interlaced signals to 1080i. I was just hoping that someone knew some way to correct this, because it's really annoying--I play a lot of fighting games in interlaced mode and it is paramount that button reactions are exact and that fast motion doesn't cause choppiness.

Advice from any owners of these series Toshibas? It's a fine TV for everything else but it's a huge disappointment for my game which previously played perfectly on my old 27" Wega.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you are inputting through the s-video input, the TV is displaying 480P. It line doubles 480I inputs. You will only be able to input 1080I through the component (Colorstream HD) inputs.

The artifacts you are seeing may be due to line doubling. If your game has component outputs, and will scan 1080I, try feeding your HD inputs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pasted from Crutchfield:

"Conventional interlaced signals (antenna, cable, VHS/S-VHS VCR, etc.) are upconverted to 1080i by Toshiba's CrystalScan HDSCâ„¢ circuitry. Of course, you won't see the depth and dimensionality of a true 1080i HDTV signal, but you will enjoy a smoother, more natural image. For progressive-scan video sources (like a progressive-scan DVD player), you can choose 540p instead of 1080i via the on-screen menu. The result is an effortlessly filmlike image."

My instruction manual also says the same thing--everything that is not 480p is scaled to 1080i (480p has the option of 540p or 1080i).

That having been said,

I tested two other 480i games in interlace mode (one in Component and one in S-Video) with no artifacts, lag, etc.

The particular device I am having problems with (called a MAS Super Nova, a device that converts actual arcade board video to NTSC) output a very weak signal to my old TV (colors slightly messed up, flickering video occasionally) but something probably just needs to be repaired on the inside, because it used to display perfectly. My guess is that the TV can't handle the conversion to 1080i quickly enough because of the weak signal, so I'm going to try repairing the device itself to see if that helps. That would best explain why only this game is having the problem, I played a similar game on Dreamcast through the S-Video with none of the artifacts I mentioned in my previous post.

So, I'll let everyone know how it goes after the device is repaired. I'd really hate for it to be the TV's fault.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.