Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am seriously thinking of picking up the Toshiba 34HD82 (16:9) set this week. I'd like to know if any of you who own this set have experienced geometry problems that are not correctable (IE, horizontal bowing, pincushion effects, etc.) through the service mode.

Also, is the service mode accessed the same way as the 4:3 HD monitors from Toshiba such as the 36HF72?

Maybe I should just go with the 32HFX72. The 36'' won't fit in my ent. ctr. DOH!!! So many decisions...

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I haven't heard of any non-fixable geometry problems with the Toshiba (other problems, but not geometry).

If you decide to go with the 34" Widescreen, see what the price difference is between the HD82 and HDX82. I think that the addition of the DVI input as well as the wideband video amplifier of the "X" version is worth a few extra dollars.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have yet to see a flat tube TV with perfect geometry out of the box. Most likely you will have problems just like everyone else. You may get lucky and it will be close to straight but most likely will require some adjustment to get right just like every other DV TV out there.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I am thinking of purchasing the 34hdx82 but what problems have risen with that set?(i know i should do a search but i just need a quick summary of the issues?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The cheaper 34HD82 also has the DVI input.

All flat screen sets by all manufacturers usually has some geometry issues and too much overscan with factory settings. Be prepared to use an AVIA DVD for test patterns and get the service manual to use the service menu to adjust the geometry and overscan no matter what model you get.

The Toshiba models all use the same basic service menu controls, but the widescreen sets have a few different settings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming...

Now I have to ask myself do I want a 34" 16:9 set to view 4:3 material. Hmmmmm, more decisions.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mitch_B
Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming...

Now I have to ask myself do I want a 34" 16:9 set to view 4:3 material. Hmmmmm, more decisions.
The answer to that question probably depends on how long you plan on owning this TV. If the answer is more than a few years, then you probably do. Otherwise, you will spend a lot of time in the future viewing 16:9 material on a 4:3 set.

If you only plan on keeping this set for a couple of years, the 4:3 may be the way to go. I used the last set that I had in my bedroom for 15 years before I replaced it (it's now in my guest room). I hope that I will keep it's replacement for just as long. That's why I went 16:9 there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay! So I bought a TV this afternoon, but it was not the Toshiba. My wife nixed the price. To my delight I found the brand spanking new SONY KV-32HS510 on sale at Good Guys for $1299. They gave it to me for $1199 due to the excellent deal given at goodguys.com which comes to $1170. This way I can return the set without a restocking fee etc. SWEET DEAL!!!

I am picking it up Friday and I can't wait to see it. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for your input/replies.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mitch_B

Congrats on the new TV. Here is a link to the 32hs500 service manual but I don't know if there are changes between the hs500 & hs510:

http://service-asc.sel.sony.com/Sony...0.2/manual.pdf

The first thing I would do after making sure it works is to calibrate with something like AVIA .

After you check out your new TV, you may want to start a faq thread for the 32hs510 like I did for the Sony 34xbr800 . That way as you discover things, all the 32hs510 owners can contribute in one thread so you don't have to search the entire forum each time to locate something like an important link. Have fun. :)

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick,

Thanks for the service manual, wow 418 pages! Would you mind sending me a list of the steps that need to be taken for adjusting the red push and any other important adjustments that are common for these sets?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mitch,

See my post at this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244288

There are steps to fix the red push. Be aware that Sony made drastic changes to the service menu in the 2002 models from the 2001 models. They may have done it again n the new 2003 model you just got.

If the Service menu items are not the same as in my post, don't make any changes till you figure out exactly what registers you need to change with the new service menu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.