AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I read the specs correctly, this unit may have wide band issues compared to the 34HDX82, Philips, or Sony 34 inch sets.

Fitzie

·
Registered
686 Posts
Get the 34HDX82 instead, it's the "Cinema Series" model. Has much better remote, and as Fitzie noted, has a better wideband video amp (therefore higher resolution).

The difference in price between the HD and HDX is negligible after discount. I don't understand why Toshiba even bothered with the HD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have narrowed it down to the Philips 34pw9818 or Toshiba 34HDX82. The sony xbr is just too big for my space.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am leaning towards the philips because of rgb which would be perfect for my computer. Problem I have is that will be watching with regular cable until i can save more money for a Hughes and direct tv install.

I also like the slimmer design of the Toshiba. uggg

Flip a coin or is there something I should no to eliminate one or the other. Like which would be best with crappy signal?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Don't know which will look better with a bad signal, but here are some reasons to choose the Toshiba over the Philips:

1. DVI input.

2. Twice as reliable as Philips, according to Consumer Reports.

3. $300 cheaper.

4. Smaller footprint.

The Philips is supposed to have a very good motion-adaptive deinterlacer. You should ask someone with the 9818 how it does on poor signals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am still using basic analog cable (Comcast) for the moment. I've had the 34HDX82 for about a month, and I think it does a real nice job with the signal. I'm so pleased, I'm actually going to hold off on the DirecTV upgrade a few months until after the expenses of the holiday season have been paid.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm very fussy. Here's how these stack up to me.

As an HDTV display @1080i the Toshiba is clearer to my eyes. The Phillips has a slightly washed out less dimensional look, with less distinct colors. After a good tweak who knows, but out of the box, I very much prefer the Toshiba @ 1080i.

As a HDTV display @ 720p excuse me, but the Tosh upconverts 720p to 1080i just like all the rest, with the exception of the Princeton 30" and a handful of DLP r.p. sets, and many projectors of course. Support for 720p to me should mean that the set is displaying 720p. Not upconverting or over-converting to 1080i, and that's what the Tosh does. Theres not a lot of content at 720p so is this a deal breaker? I don't know. I havn't seen either set displaying ABC 720p OTA which is the only way I can think of to even check this resolution with native content, at this time. By the way, I do not know what the Philips will do with say, NYPD Blue coming in from an OTA box, which actually passes 720p. Do you?

As a DVD playback device. I have to give this to the Phillips. The picture is more dimensional and has less motion artifacts. The pixel plus in the Philips, outperformed a Panasonic progressive scan DVD player which I used to audition both units. I prefered the interlaced signal with the Philips doing the doubling. The Tosh is just not as smooth or detailed. James Taylors face on the "Live at the Beacon" disc is putty like on the Tosh. These Toshibas are converting 480i and 480p to 540p, in order to have compatibility with focus point for 1080i. YMMV but I prefer the Sony's and the Philips picture quality at these resolutions.

Aspect ratio control, I think the Tosh is more intuitive and flexible, and it seemed to me that the Philips locked into widescreen when a signal came in from the component inputs. But I did not have the manuals to the sets and others can comment more thoughtfully on this point.

As a playback device for VCR, both are pretty bad but the Philips is at least watchable for children. I insisted on this test and the Tosh is dreadful. The Philips is better, but both stink compared to analog sets. By the way, we have a lot of VCR tapes at my house and I don't want to garage sale them just yet.

DVI HDCP, to me is a ghost of the future that I just refuse to worry about. I want a T.V. for our little front room that will work this week and for the next couple years. YMMV

I havn't bought either, though both are the right size for our Entertainment center. Frankly I wish they were better. Once again YMMV:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
m Robinson, thanks for the detailed comparision.

Quote:
These Toshibas are converting 480i and 480p to 540p, in order to have compatibility with focus point for 1080i.
All of the Toshiba direct view sets display 480i/p unchanged. Only RPTV models do the 540 upconvert.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trancer23,

I watch 4:3 signals in TW1 mode, except for shows that are broadcast in widescreen, which I generally watch in TW3 mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.