AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man, i wish i'd known about this site a couple months ago...

i purchased this set after months (MONTHS) of scrutiny. yes, my set has the "ghost band" issue. i am fairly irritated with it and have notified tech support--hopefully will get someone out in a few weeks, but don't know how much good that will do.

anyway, with this set in my place, i really don't know how to best use it. i assume getting one of those calibration dvds is highly recommended by everyone? i have it hooked to the toshiba sd-4800 progressive scan dvd player.

as it stands, i think the picture is fairly good but not INCREDIBLE. i guess i was hoping for something more impressive. the screen overall seems a little bit 'fuzzy' and the picture is kind of dark. dvds are not as sharp and clear as i was hoping. i tried messing with the menus but i can't get anything that looks 'right.'

besides returning the set :) does anyone have some tips on proper calibration?

·
Registered
278 Posts
It all depends on the level of lighting you have in the room where your TV is?

My settings may not be the same as yours.

When I first got mine, the image quality/colors out of the box, weren't that great. Then I calibrated it using the AVIA DVD and what a difference! The image looks absoluteley stunning now!!!

Mine is hooked to a Panasonic RP-82 Progressive Scan DVD player.

As for ghost issues... I seem to be one of the very few but lucky people here who has no such problems with his set.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The avia set up is well worth it.

I've had my Tosh since january and no longer "see" the ghost. I have trained my brain to watch the pictures, not the tube. I have ZERO complaints about this unit in any other respect.

are you set up for HD? OTA or otherwise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses.

right now i just have digital cable, no HD decoder. i can live with the quality of those pictures--it's really not that bad. the digital channels are noticeably cleaner than the 'regular' cable channels, though.

some dvds look better than others... again, i think i just need to remind myself that the quality of the picture can only be as good as the quality of the source.

i also have component cables for my GameCube and XBox going through a component switchbox and into the second HD input... some games look great, others look kinda blah. i have a feeling there's a lot to tweak before i'm satisfied. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had to do some MAJOR geometry adjustments when I first received my 34hdx82. I originally thought the picture didn't look as good as I thought it would up front, but it actually improved after a while...maybe because of my tweaking, or maybe it just got "broken in". I will have to say that DirecTV can look pretty crappy on some days...if they would only stop adding channels and killing the available bandwidth...sigh.

Anyway, I rarely notice the band down the middle any more either. Again, it might just get better after time or I'm just able to ignore it now. It would still be nice to have a fix for that, though.

Avia made a world of difference..

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.