AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 34HF81 is a great set with outstanding color but I have a question and a comment. I use a progressive scan dvd player and even disks optimized for 16x9 need to be blown up for viewing. Which setting is the natural one for this? "Full" usually looks best to me but "Theater 1" is recommended.

This means that every widescreen picture is a distortion. I understand that regular 4x3 televsion is blown up and distored for widescreen viewing. But -- correct me if I'm wrong -- there is no non-distorted way to view 16x9 material.

Am I wrong about this? Does anyone see the point I'm making?

Thanks for comments, etc.

Brennan

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brennan,

If you want your anamorphic DVDs to be displayed totally undistorted, you should leave the 34HF81 in normal mode and make sure that your DVD player set to 16:9 display. For anything other than 1.78:1 aspect ratio movies (e.g., Toy Story 2, Shrek), such as 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 movies, you will have black bars at the top and bottom, but at least you will not have a distorted image or lose any information. Any of the Theaterwide modes will either distort the image or lose some of the picture if you use them. Theaterwide mode 1 is not too bad, but is still a compromise for purists. I hope I'm understanding your question correctly.

Dewi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dewi -

Thanks for the prompt reply -- you did understand my question. I noted what you said, but ... when my DVD (Sony DVP-NS7000P) is set to 16x9, in normal mode the screen has the grey bars on the sides just like regular television. In the "Full" mode (which does look the most natural) there are bars on the top and bottom as you said. So either my DVD player is set wrong (I don't think so because I checked it four times) or ...?

So, to clarify, in normal mode with anamorphic dvd's, I should be getting a widescreen picture?

Thanks Again,

Brennan

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
mcworld you've obviously overlooked something, are you certain that the Sony DVD is set to deliver 480p and that you're using the correct outputs, some players have a set of interlaced as well as progressive.

my suggestion is that we dispense with the conjecture and that you seriously spend some time with the user manuals for your television and your DVD player.

cheers.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry Guys but I have the same Issue as McWorld. I do not have a progressive scan DVD player. I just figured that FULL was ment for DVD's. My DVD player is set to 16x9 and if I use normal, I get the same thing as McWorld. Gray bars on the side and Black bars on the top and bottom? Is it just because I do not have a Progressive Scan DVD player? I am using the HD 1 input? Would a progressive scan DVD player make any difference. I thought this TV had a line doubler and 3-2 pull down? So it made the interlaced DVD the same as Progressive Scan? Also would a Toshiba DVD player be better for this set? You know that whole COLOR STREAM stuff from the Toshiba DVD to the Toshiba TV? IS that just marketing?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you can use whatever mode you want, but normal is 4:3 in the middle with bars on the left and right.

think of your interlaced player as any other standard NTSC source, such as as cable, VHS, OTA, DSS whatever. When viewing signals of this type in the normal mode you will have a 4x3 image in the middle with bars on the left and right.

for your setup, set your dvd player to 16x9 and use the full mode to stretch the 4x3 image to fit your screen. in this configuration your geometry will be correct.

The line doublers and scalers inherent in most newer HDTV ready TVs will leave a lot to be desired. It is my experience that substantial gains can be had if external sources are employed to do the scaling and line doubling. That said your TV does include 3:2 inverse telecine decoding as well as line doubling for 480i sources.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imws-

your message has my answer. I do have everything hooked up correctly. Full mode is the correct mode for 16x9 material. I thought so. It looked correct.

The manual is not clear; they never are. It says: "Full picture streches the picture to fill the screen width (distorts the picture)." You must admit it 'aint clear. But now I get it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
MCWorld,

Well if we assume one thing, then you have everything hooked up correctly.

The first assumption is that your TV provides aspect ratio control for 480p sources, most widescreen TV's will lock into 16x9 full mode when it detects a 480p signal.

If your TV does not provide aspect ratio control for 480p sources, then you should verify your installation for your DVD player, because you wouldn't be able to do what you're doing otherwise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Brennan,

Sorry, my if my reply was confusing. You're right, the manual is confusing when it says that Full mode stretches the picture's width to fill the frame; I believe that it only stretches 4:3 material, not 16:9. I think you're set up correctly.

Dewi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dewi and shine5555,

I also found the Toshiba manual lacking but Full is definitely the best setting (shine5555 - I have a JVC progressive DVD player but the TV "acts" the same way with progressive on or off).

I am curious if anyone sees the following: when I watch a non-anamorphic DVD with the JVC set to 16:9 and the Toshiba set to Full, I get a smaller widescreen picture with black bars left/right/top/bottom. (anamorphic DVDs fill the screen width). What I do then is set the JVC to 4:3 letterbox and use Theater Wide 2 on the TV - this gives me a picture much larger and filling the screen width (granted there is scaling involved but I think it still looks good).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you have a widescreen set, keep your DVD player on 16:9. There should be no reason to change it.

If the DVD is 'Anamorphic', 'Enhanced for Widescreen', etc., your TV should be set to FULL.

If the DVD is letterboxed (non-anamorphic), your TV should be set to TheaterWide 2. You can also use TheaterWide 2 for letterboxed TV shows like Enterprise and ER.

TheaterWide 1 and 3 are non-linear stretches meant for regular 4:3 TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
JohnnyG:

What HDTV receiver do you recommend for use with the 34HF81? I just ordered this TV from a store here in Windsor, Ontario. It seems like I'm going to be paying a fortune for this feature. I mainly bought the TV for Xbox gaming and DVD movies. Should I wait and get a receiver when they are cheaper?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well, I got a nibble of information this morning that there might be ~$200US over-the-air HD receivers coming to market in the not-to-distant future (this should be considered purely speculation at this point).

Other than that, either go with Star Choice or ExpressVu who both offer US network programming (Star Choice feeds come from Detroit), or buy something like the Samsung SIR-T150 (about $400US after rebate, I believe).

ExpressVu uses the Dish 6000 receiver and if they ever activate the 8VSB module support (it doesn't work in the ExpressVu unit today), you'll be all set for both satellite and over-the-air HD reception. I should add too that if you're served by Rogers cable, they will offer 4-6 HD channels on their digital service early in the new year (also from Detroit).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.