108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking hard about buying this one. I'd really rather have the Sony 34 inch

direct view, but it's out of my price range (2k as opposed to 3k). Any one have

the Toshiba or heard anything about it? I went and saw it at The Wiz and it

looked good (but not as good as the Sony next to it--probably needed to be

tweaked, but very red). I can do without the Firewire since the standards will

probably change before we really need them anyway. Also, anyone have any of

these in a cabinet of some sort (not just a stand, I mean an enclosed cabinet)? I don't want to see it all the time and I

understand the depth is about 24 inches--plenty of room to fit), but what about

ventilation?

Thanks,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Please see my review in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/016775.html .

Since then, I've "fine-tuned" the set and properly set my RP56 to 16:9 output, which has dramatically boosted DVD quality.

I'm using a Radio Shack Double Bowtie to receive both ABC and CBS OTA HD (using a Toshiba DST3000). Tonight, I watched Raymond in HDTV and it was truly excellent at 65 signal strength.

I did see the Sony KD-34XBR2, but since it was being demoed in 1080i, which makes just about anything look good, I can't say for a fact that the Sony is better. Certainly not 1/3 of the price better.

I put my 34HF81 on a five-wheel rolling cart bought at IKEA. It handles those 163 pounds nicely. Note that the Sony is much heavier. While one might normally appreciate extra weight because it implies solidity, I'm not so sure that, in these shelf-breaking categories, this really matters. Certainly not electronics-wise, where a featherweight chip can make all the difference.

Anyway, I love my Tosh but I'm definitely headed to a 42-inch plasma as soon as someone introduces a crowd-pleaser.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..for your reply and the informative review. A friend is trying to talk me out of buying anything right now, saying that everything will be cheaper after the holidays, but I'm not so sure about that when it comes to HDTV (e.g., the predecessor to this set, the CW34X92, STILL costs more than the lighter, new and improved version!)

That's a good point you made about the Sony being demo'ed in 1080i. It gives me hope that the Toshiba picture can be comparable with the proper fine-tuning. How much does it cost to get a set ISF'ed and who would you contact for that service? In another post someone recommended that you purchase the service manual. Is this a viable option for someone that is certainly not dumb, yet not a techician either?

Michael, how much will that Pioneer plasma set be? What will you do with the Toshiba? Sell it? If so, maybe I'll wait and buy yours from you, hehehe!

No really, I'm also debating as to whether or not I should invest $600+ smackeroos for the DST3000 when I plan on getting DirecTV with a receiver box and there isn't much HDTV programming available yet to warrant the purchase (hey, I could take those clams and invest 'em in some Ciprol stock or something!). What do you think? Is the set top box necessary if you get satellite? Also, I'm looking at the Ikea catalog for that cart you mentioned. Do you know the name of it (y'know, DINGA or HAGEL or BUTKIS or ..... :D )

Thanks again for your help and enjoy the Toshiba.

Noel

·
Registered
619 Posts
I see on the Toshiba website that this set has two ColorStream inputs. The salesdroid at Best Buy knew that it would handle two sets of component inputs, but my question is will it handle 1080i on one and 480p on the other? Or, maybe 1080i on both? I don't have a progressive DVD (yet), but figured I should make sure about the future.

The set had just come in the local store and they haven't unboxed it yet, so we couldn't check the manual. I was hoping to see the set in the flesh, so to speak, to check out the picture quality, size, and the case. I see that the set is 33" wide, which fits the bedroom stand a lot better than the Philips 34PW9817 at 36.5". The flat spot on top of the stand is 32"x18.5", so I'm hoping the set's feet fit within that area. Hopefully, Best Buy will unbox their 34HF81 soon.

Searching the Internet, I see that SharperDigital has the set for under $2,100, but I haven't found out how much shipping would be. I'd rather go into Best Buy or Sears and see if they would match the 'net price. Ordering something that big via UPS from a company I've haven't dealt with before is always a risk.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat
The salesdroid at Best Buy knew that it would handle two sets of component inputs, but my question is will it handle 1080i on one and 480p on the other?
I have the 34x92 with two Colorstream inputs. You can configure them any way you want, one 1080i and one 480p or both one way or the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.