AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm not crazy about my 32" Toshiba 32HFX71 set which I purchased a few months ago - the retailer has agreed to take it back, but I'm wondering which set to get as a replacement...I'm looking at a couple of rear projection sets, but the Toshiba 34HF81 also looks nice.

Does any one have this TV?? One problem I have with the 32" set is a tendency for the picture to shift from dark to light - and since it's also a Toshiba I'm worried the 34" may also exhibit the same tendancy.

Any feedback would be apreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
57 Posts
I have one. Haven't noticed a shift from dark to light, but the set came with a ton of geometrey problems. I'm not upset I bought the set but I don't think I would do it again. For the money at costco they have a 34" Daewoo for $1500 that does 1080i and 720p, where the Tosh has to upconvert. The DVD picture seems to be close to the Toshiba's, but no way of knowing how the HD image compares. The Toshiba looks awesome watching HD, but I think they all do. If I didn't go cheap I would have upgraded to the Sony. It is a lot more money but the build quality is much better. The Tosh is very plasticky and the Sony a lot more solid, plus you save 500 bucks on the built in HD tuner.

That said, if you can go projection (I couldn't due to the configuration of my room) do it. Large projection HD looks awesome.

· Registered
44 Posts
I bought a 32HFX71 a few months ago and had the same problems other ppl reported.

After talking with the manager at the store, they told me to wait for the new lineup. After quite a while, the store I bought it from, replaced the TV set.

The 'new' 32hfx71 is manufactured in Feb. this year, compared to the 'old' one it replaced, which was manuf. in Oct.

I do not see the same problems I've experienced with the 'old' 32hfx71.

Mainly washed focus in corners (now it's very sharp and focused, even small text) ; the very right part of the tv screen had a very strange compressed image problem, where the image tended to bend ( now the image is equal side to side ). The image is much clearer and of higher quality at the same presets, even my wife noticed the difference. I haven't tried DVD's or HDTV's yet, just basic / digital cable.

Ovidiu O.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

Ratters - I'm considering projection - my set up has me abou 8 1/2 ft away from the set - is that too close? I'll be watching DVD's most of the time. Otherwise if I go for a tube my only real option is the Toshiba - the sony is out of my price range.

Ovidiu - interesting....the Toshiba customer service people never told me about the 'new' 32hfx71 - I may have to look into it. But I'm thinking since I mostly watch DVD's it'd be smarter for me to go with a 16:9 set.

Cheers

· Banned
3,403 Posts
I sit aproximately 5 feet for a '4' inches bigger set F-38310. When comparing sets remember a rule of thumb, for your height take 1/2 of your diaginol and 7/8 of the same diaginol for your width. In my case a 38 inch diaginol is 19 inches in height and 33.75 inches in width. If you purchase HDTV that is 4 inches smaller take 4 inches off both height and width, for your inside glass measurements or viewing area.

:)

· Registered
24 Posts
I had the the Toshiba 34hf81 for a few weeks until I purchase a Panasonic plasma. The Toshiba had great picture quality and seemed like a pretty good value @$2037 + tax. However, I felt the picture size was too small for 10" viewing distance, too heavy and the set was too deep for my cabinet. The PQ is every bit as good as the Sony. If there a 34" set at a Costco now I would try that. Costco has a lifetime satisfaction warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.