AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got HD from Comcast cable using the Motorola 6200 box. If the Motorola box is set on 1080i, then when I switch from a non-HD channel to an HD channel, the tv takes 2-10 seconds to focus and stabalize the HD image (the picture sort of shakes). This does not happen when switching from HD to HD or HD to non-HD, only non-HD to HD. Also, if the motorla box is set on 720p this does not happen. I thought this odd as the 34HF83 is a 1080i set.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I didn't see anything that resembled in the troubleshooting guide for the tv or the cable box.

Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Qualitatively, that does not sound too abnormal - the TV is re-syncing to the new scan rate. Same deal if you change the resolution of your computer screen (if you have a CRT monitor).

Quantitatively, 10 secs is way too long for it to do that. Check the settings on the TV. I believe both 720p and 1080i signals can be displayed as either 540p or 1080i on the set. Make sure its converting both to 1080i (just to be consistent) and see if it still happens.

Either way, ask the cable company to exchange the box and see if that does not solve it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Is the cable box set to always output 1080i? Does it upconvert SD channels to 1080i? Or, does it ouput SD as SD and HD at 1080i?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the 6200 ... but if it's always sending 1080i, then it sounds like an issue with the cable box.

Otherwise ... joemama's comments above certainly apply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by joemama
Either way, ask the cable company to exchange the box and see if that does not solve it.
Actually, the cable guy called another truck to come by and tried another box, but same thing. I will play around with it when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joemama
I believe both 720p and 1080i signals can be displayed as either 540p or 1080i on the set.
Actually, the 34HF83 only gives a choice between 1080i and 540p when the input source is 480p. All others are displayed as 1080i.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Thats right, reading the downloadable Toshiba owner's manual, it shows that 480i,720p,1080i inputs are all displayed as 1080i only. For 480p input you can select either 540p or 1080i for the displayed mode.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the 34hfx83 and Comcast HD as well. I have the moto 5100 and experience a similar "stabilization" period. On my set it is a pretty consistent 4 seconds for the video and audio to stabilize when switching 1080i hd->sd or sd->hd 1080i. As Kurt (kmadel) mentioned, I do not see this when switching hd->hd or sd->sd. I have not tried to set the moto box to output 720p to see if, similar to Kurt, this stabilization period does not occur.

I do not know for certain but I have a theory as to what is causing this:

34hf(x)83 sets display at either 540p or 1080i. When viewing a 480i source the TV upconverts this to 540p or 1080i, when viewing a 1080i source the TV does not do any converting, the signal is passed through. So when switching between 1080i and 480i (or p?) the TV has to switch between converting a signal and not converting.

If the moto STB is set to 720p the TV is always converting the signal (480i to 1080i and 720p to 1080i), thus no transition period between converting and not converting.

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, that sounds like a pretty good assessment. However, I have alos seen more of these 'stablization' blips after the initial one when the cable box is set to 1080i; whereas I don't see any such blips when the cable box is set to 720p.

I could leave the box at 720p, but it seems like 1080i offers a better picture, but it is hard to say for sure.

Jeff, if you do try out 720p on your cable box, I would be intrested to hear what you think of the quality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Hit "menu" when the motorola box is off, and turn off 480i overide.
Thanks, this works perfectly. The only minor annoyance, that I can live with is that now the tv won't let me strecth the 4:3 stuff (which the toshiba does a great job at). I have to switch to a different input to do so which is pretty easy, but might be too much to ask my wife...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got the 34HFX83 for almost $1000 less than 34xbr910. Guess that's what the 910 stands for! Picture is amazing on cable or OTA. Much better than the sony using ANY signal in stores. Can view 2 HD signals at same time splitscreen (cable & OTA). Short delay changing inputs but hardly an issue. Have not used DVI input yet. Cable promisses HD DVR soon.

Currently using SA 3100HD cable box/Zenith HDV420 OTA tuner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.