AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in the Toshiba 36HF71. But I'm a bit puzzled by the very similar model Toshiba 36HFX71. Apparently, the 36HFX71 is part of Toshiba's "Cinema Series" which, I gather, is their high-end line.

But looking just at the specs it is hard to see why one is better than the other. Most are the same. Has anyone seen both or know more information? I have noticed that the 36HFX71 offers two 16:9 modes (1080i and 810i) and the 36HF71 only one (1080i). I'm not sure when the 810i mode would be useful.

The "X" model also offers a "FST Pre Fine Pitch" flat tube vs. the other which has "regular" flat tube. But what does that really mean?

Can anyone offer any insight? Is the Cinema Series worth $200 more?

tks,

Brett

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was puzzled in looking at the product description on Toshiba's page about the 16:9 modes as well. However, after downloading the manuals from their site , it appears to me that the 16:9 modes are identical on the two sets. Both offer normal mode (4:3), letterbox mode which removes scan lines to convert a picture to 16:9 and compression mode which squeezes the picture for an anamorphic signal

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One salesman told me that the Cinema Series has a more advanced line-doubler. He said under certain circumstances there could be smoother motion with fewer artifacts. I don't know if he knew what he was talking about or not. I'll keep looking for more information.

Brett

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bill,

Care to give us a quick review of the 36HFX71? I've been interested in this set for some time (and it's 32 inch brother the 32HFX71) and haven't seen it in a showroom yet.

Thanks in advance,

morden

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by the sales man that the sound system was better (it is) and that it had a better line doubler. Same as the top of the line 34 in widescreen.

I bought the tv. It's going back for replacement. Geometry was wickedly off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just compared these sets at a local store, along with the 36" HD panasonic set. I thought the hfx71 looked a little sharper, and definitely had better color rendition then the hf71. The panansonic looked sharp but couldn't compete with the toshiba's accurate color decoder. I think it's worth the extra $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.