AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to get a new tv set for the living room. I have looked at Costco and seen this Toshiba 36HF73 going for about 1000 dollars. I did a little research here and read that it is generally a good set with some problems with the geometry. I figure with the tax and a new stand I would pay around $1400-1450 for the combo.

I went into the SonyStyle store and I talked with a salesperson. Right now the Sony store is selling the XS955 for $1699 plus tax. This makes it about $1840 for me. Also Sony is having a promotion giving a $150 gift certificate for the sony store.

So what would you guys get? Is the Sony picture that much better than Toshiba's? I read a matchup of the 32 inch versions of Sony vs. Toshiba at Hometheatermag website and they said the Sony was the clear winner!

Will actual users please give some advice!! I need a TV soon.

· Registered
5,180 Posts
The new Sony model is a lot better it has the super-fine-pitch HD CRT for about 1400 horizontal resolution compared to only 800 or so on the Toshiba which is a 2 year old model.

· Registered
62 Posts
I bought the Toshiba 36HF73 at Costco for $1000, and I have been very impressed with the PQ on regular DISH programming. I am using this TV as a transition TV for the next 3-5 years until the dust clears with the PQ and pricing of larger HD TV sets, and more HD programming becomes available. I refused to spend more than this amount for a transition TV. On the downside, there is a slight central bowing on top and bottom on 16X9, and a certified Toshiba technician will hopefully adjust this next week as part of the one year in-home warranty that comes standard with the TV. I will let you know if the bowing is eliminated or reduced. All in all, it is a very good TV for the price.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.