AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on this set ? How does it show 480i? Any magazine reviews of it? Thanks for input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FOR THE PRICE, ITS A GOOD SET. IF YOUR POCKETS ARE BIGGER, I'D GO WITH ANOTHER SET OR WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEARS MODELS COMES OUT. I'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH MINE ( WHICH I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE REPAIR SHOP. SEE THE THREADS ON THE 3:2 PULLDOWN PROBLEM THAT TOSHIBA IS JUST GETTING AROUND TO CORRECT. IF YOU DO DECIDE ON THIS SET, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY AND AND HAVE IT ISF-CALIBRATED. JUST MY OPINION.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not know of professional reviews of the 40H80 but the older TW40X81 was reviewed, extremely favorably, in a number of places, including Stereophile Guide to Home Theater and in Secrets; the latter review, by Stacey Spears, is at
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...tv-3-2000.html

But I agree with the previous post; unless you can get a REALLY good price on the 40H80 (and possibly even then) it's better to wait for the 2002 sets. The new 50H81's are expected to be in stores in about a week. The 42H81s, which replace the 40H80s, are still a month (or more) away.

[This message has been edited by JohnHN (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had the previous model 40x81 for about 18 months now. I've been very happy with it. Great picture and it has been trouble free.

The comments about waiting for the new model are good, each subsequent generation of HDTV's seem to add features and get a little better. However, if you can get a deal on the 40x81 I doubt that you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I took the plunge about a month ago. I bought a 40H80 from Spectravox.com for $1809 delivered. I couldn't wait and I haven't been disappointed. I read about the quality of the Dish signal and yes, you can see it. Small movements are squiggles instead of smooth movement. (pardon the technical terminology) Large movements are OK. DVD is excellent (480i) on s-video input. Someday I'll get a component out and it should be better.

Conclusion: if the deal is there, go for it. From my research you should do business with someone with a 30 day return policy as some are damaged when you get them, but as you can tell from my user name, I don't have the luxury of a dealer anywhere near.

Good luck!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with JohnHN, wait until those better models come out. 40 inches is just a smidgen too small for my tastes.

50 inches sounds perfect for a small room.

------------------

My current entertainment setup:

Panasonic 27" TV, Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player (connected via S-Video), Aiwa Dolby Pro Logic Mini-Surround System, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2...(and more to come!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.