Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

this is my first post to this board!

i recently purchased a toshiba 40h80 and panasonic dvd-rp91 progressive scan dvd player and was wondering a few things....

on what settings do you watch the following programming:

-1:85 anamorphic dvd

-2:35 anamorphic dvd

-letterboxed dvd (what is the best way to set up the tv and the dvd player for this)

-regular cable tv (especially bad signal)

-dvd's like super speedway that seem to be made for a 4:3 tv.

what will give me the absolute BEST picture for all of these sources. i have been trying different variables all week and am making myself crazy. i have also been following the 3:2 pulldown thread (my set was manufactured in february), not sure what this means!! if you could be as specific as possible i would GREATLY appreciate it. thanks for your help

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
i recently purchased a toshiba 40h80 and panasonic dvd-rp91 progressive scan dvd player and was wondering a few things....

on what settings do you watch the following programming:

-1:85 anamorphic dvd

-2:35 anamorphic dvd
Make sure your DVD player knows it is connected to a 16:9 TV. View those anamorphics in "FULL" mode on the 40H80.

Quote:
-letterboxed dvd (what is the best way to set up the tv and the dvd player for this)
The 40H80 should be on the "TheatreWide 2" mode (first select "Theatrewide" then go to the menu and put it in theatrewide 2. You may want to scroll it up or down if there are subtitles on the picture.

Quote:
-regular cable tv (especially bad signal)

-dvd's like super speedway that seem to be made for a 4:3 tv.
That is a matter of preference. Some people *hate* stretched pictures and use the "NORMAL" mode with bars on the side. I don't mind the stretch much and use the "Theatrewide 1" mode that does a nonlinear stretch. (It stretches the sides more than the center.) Using a stretch mode prevents burn-in of the vertical bars.

TV is complicated these days, eh?

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
133 Posts
As mentioned, you should use the FULL mode for all anamorphic DVDs.

3:2 pulldown can make a difference in viewing film based material, but remember that with a progressive scan player your TV's line doubler is bypassed since the DVD player performs this function. The TVs pulldown feature would be important for other sources (satellite etc), but it doesn't come into play with a progressive scan player.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Once you set the RP91 to 16:9, I believe you can watch all DVDs in 'Full' mode as the RP91 converts material automatically (at least I'm pretty sure it works this way - my demo unit was on display for a whole 5 days before it sold!). This is to accomodate those displays (most of them) that lock all 480p signals into Full mode.

As has been said, regular TV is a matter of personal preference. I tend to use TheaterWide2 mode which doesn't distort the image, but cuts off the top and bottom.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
630 Posts

I have a 56H80, and I will be getting the RP91 next week. Is there a shift in images to the left (RP91 issue)? How do you rectify this problem (for now) and what parameters should be adjusted on TV?

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey, thanks for the answers!

i am aware of the image shift problem but i have not noticed it. either it is too minor to see or my unit is ok. i should mention that i am pretty critical so if i dont see it, i am guessing it is not there.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
When I had one, it was connected to a 56H80 and yes, I did see the shift. It wasn't noticable with actual video, but the first disc I put in just happened to have the THX thingy with the blue box on the screen and the box was clearly shifted to the left.

You could fix it with HPOS in the service menu but IIRC, this will shift all your 480i inputs too.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.