AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating which set to buy. The viewing distance is about 9 feet. I really want to go with the 65" but I'm worried about being too close.

Has anyone else used a 65" at this distance?

I plan on using it for NTSC, ATSC, and DVD playback

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Naked,

How is the reception with cable or satellite from 9 feet away? I know that Digital and DVD playback are excellent. I ask because I really want the 65H80, It is only $400 more and hopefully I will have it for a long time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
One thing is for sure, once you have HDTV, you don't even watch DVD's anymore. Go get it frankx99 get the 65, for $400 more!
------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently get channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 11 and HBO but I know I'm going to be watching a lot of NTSC signals, so that is my concern about the 65 inch.

I still have a couple of weeks to decide.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went with the 56", because I thought 65" would be too large (viewing distance 10'). If I had to do it again, I'd go with the 65".

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMHO, the cable viewing on the TW65H80 was not so great, which is why I do not have cable any more.

I added a Hughes E86 STB last month with DirectTV. There are several OTA HD stations within 80 miles and I am presently working on getting the right OTA antenna in the right location to receive. The ones that I have watched (WRAL out of Raleigh, NC) was terrific at any distance!

The DirectTV signals via the Hughes E86 are, IMHO, also VERY good. Some channels are noticeably "soft" due to compression, but it has not been much of a distraction for me. It is so much better than what I was receiving from cable that it makes me smile http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif every time I think about it.

The DirectTV Demo loop is fabulous. DVD viewing is also great.

The NTSC analog OTA channels leave something to be desired, all appear "soft". Hopefully once I get everything lined out so that ABC, NBC, and CBS are coming across via digital stations within range - NTSC viewing will be a thing of the past for my household.

Definitely recommend the 65"

Cheers,

NE

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use the 65" from just over 8 feet away, and love it.

"Garbage in, garbage out" applies to large HDTV's. Feed it junk (VHS, most cable signals, most OTA NTSC signals) and it accurately depicts how bad the source is. Feed it something good (progressive DVD, HDTV) and it knocks you out with how good it is.

If you watch movies off DVD a lot, keep in mind the image gets smaller when you're watching 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Get the 65; you won't regret it.

Les

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the TW65X81 which is the predecessor to the 65H80. I sit 9' way but my son has pulled up the couch to 6' on ocassion for a good movie. I would get the 65", among other things it has a bigger Wow Factor.

I considered the Mitsubishi 73" but it was much more expensive and is rated at less resolution (1200 lines vs 1600 lines for the Toshiba).

Just my opinion.

Rick

·
Registered
636 Posts

Frank,

The dimensions of my room limited my TV size to 56" instead of 65". My room is not too wide, but too long. (the townhome/apt style in SFBay area, where the idea is to convey large size and conserve(&with little)space http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ). I had to place two front speakers for my 6 speaker HT set up and if I got the 65" there would be little space for the front speakers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

First check out your personal viewing distance (eyeball to TV screen) for 56" and 65". Deduct about 3' (for TV width) when calculating appropriate viewing distances in your home. Then check which size you would be most comfortable with.

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
164 Posts
frankx99

I have the 56H80. I came very close in getting the 65, its overwhelming in size, and can be taken apart in two pieces, which they would have to do in getting that monster into my house. The 56 fit exactly were my old 44 incher sat. I see in your profile your from Brooklyn New York, hey neighbor. Its a great unit so far I enjoyed The Final Four, The Sopranos(*weekly), The Masters, Bruce Springsteen, 24/7 HDHBO, 24/7 HD DEMO Loop, OTA = (Radio Shack Double Bow Tie $15.00)= CBS NBC FOX ABC WPIX all digital all great pictures. Being your in Brooklyn even better. My living room has a a L couch for 8 people and a LazyBoy, room size is about 15x12 all good viewing spots.

I belive the rebate is over with, I could be wrong, but if you purchased the Toshiba 40/56/65 and the DST-3000, you get a $200.00 refund.

I am still waiting for the mailman on that one.

Make sure what ever unit you get, get the extended warranty. You may e-mail me directly for for more information on this unit, and a great purchase price for my local PC Richards here in Queens. Have Fun! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had the TW65H80 for almost two years.

NO REGRETS, MATE!

The thing is the most impressive piece of home entertainment hardware that I've ever owned, or even seen for that matter!

The wife loves it.

The kids love it.

My friends love it.

Everyone that comes into the living room has to comment on it. Typically "WOW" or "NOW THATS WHAT I NEED", etc.......

Just be sure that you have good control over light entering the room where you use any RPTV. In my home, blinds and curtains are necessary during certain parts of the day to eliminate glare.

We sit directly across from the unit, approximately 10 or 11 feet away. I have sat on the floor about six or seven feet away and still loved it!

Cheers,

NE

[This message has been edited by NakedEngineer (edited 04-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by NakedEngineer (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Registered
609 Posts
At the strong encouragement of my local ISF calibrator, I got the 56". He indicated that after calibration the 65 is a little dim. The resolution is probably good enough on good sources (from my 56" experience) but on normal TV I would not want a bigger screen. I watch most normal TV in the blown up mode to prevent the gray bars from burning in. In that mode the picture is very soft. Also remember that the H80 series is designed for the 56" and the 40 and 56 sets just have different size screens.

I do not thing bigger is better if it shows up so many more flaws.

My wife would not watch the set until we had it calibrated - a huge difference.

------------------

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still didn't purchase the set, due to delays in the closing of my house. I plan on purchasing it now as soon as next Saturday.

Any more opinions on size? Toshiba 56H80 or 65H80. I'm really torn between them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMHO, I still say get the bigger one!

I have been watching a lot of the ATSC digital from local OTA stations on my TW65H80 and the picture is fabulous (IMHO....)

NE

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Naked,

I'm definitely leaninfg that way. Only problem is that I've never actually seen the 65" model. I was very impressed with the 56" so that is why I am in this dilemna.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For what it is worth, when I bought the TW65H80 I had not yet seen the picture either.

At the time I purchased it (via the Web, based on reviews and ratings) the largest I had ever seen was in the 48" range.

I have since seen several brands and sizes and all I can say is that I have NO regrets!

Cheers,

NE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.