AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're teetering on the brink of buying our first HDTV and have narrowed our choices to either an Toshiba 40XV640U or a Vizio V0420E, we can't go any bigger than 45". We viewed them side by side. I liked the image of the Toshiba better and my wife liked the price of the Vizio better. As far as inputs and such, I think either will fill the bill for us. One difference that might matter is that the Thoshiba has a glossy screen and the Vizio has a matte screen. We have a large window directly across the room from the TV (no way to avoid it) and the matte screen might help control the glare a bit.

I know Toshiba has the best reputation but I'd hate to pay the extra $100 just for the name. The Vizio gets very good reviews, is there any reason not to go with that TV?

Any other advice anyone can offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi, I was stuck between these 2 tv's as well. I posted on the xbox.com forums and was swayed to go with the Toshiba. I bought it yesterday afternoon, and I'm glad I did (or I hope so anyways). The deal was for $700, but now you can't find one online for less than $750 + tax + shipping. Good luck on your purchase. I wish I could help you more. If you would like to find my post on xbox.com, just search the forums for wildgator25's posts.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have a Vizio 42" set, just a 60hz model with nothing fancy. It has an outstanding picture. I also have a Toshiba DLP projection set and the picture is fabulous on that set also.

I don't think you'll find a great deal of difference in the picture between the two sets your considering. The bigger factor, as you've identified, is which screen surface will work with your room best.

With windows behind your viewing area, I'd personally opt for the less reflective screen surface. The best picture in the world will be ruined by strong light reflections on the screen.

I suspect whichever set you pick, once you get it home and connected to a HD source, you'll be blown away by the image quality. The display you see in stores is generally poor compared to what you can achieve at home, with minimal set adjustments.

The other advantage is that you won't be directly comparing sets, which makes the one in front of you look oh so much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the toshiba has darker blacks, a crazy amount of options to tweak and 120hz refresh rate. i havent seen the 640 but I own the 645 which I have heard is basically the same and it has a semi gloss screen that is quite good at eliminating reflections, though the sun never comes directly through my window so I guess I can't be the best judge.

The newer vizios are great tv's and from what I read the 420e is no exception. The only negative I can think of is the lack of control over the aspect ratio:

"Aspect ratio control on the vizio is disappointing, with only two options available for HD sources and four for standard-definition. In Vizio's favor, the default HD mode, labeled "Wide," does not scale 1080i and 1080p sources or introduce overscan, but we wish there was another mode at least that provided some overscan, for those channels with interference along the extreme edges of the image."

That is something you should probably play with in the store. But it shouldn't really become an issue. I leave my toshiba in native mode and I havent seen any interference... yet.

If the difference in price is only 100 dollars or so as you said, than in my opinion the toshiba is worth it, you aren't just paying for the name you are getting some extra features, and the new toshibas are really nice panels.

However if money is tight I don't think the vizio will disappoint you... they are great tv's and I have only read good things about them. If you can I would purchase from a store with a decent return policy regardless of which one you choose... just in case.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
My Vizio has controls for vertical and horizontal size to deal with any unintended information on the edges of broadcasts. I had this occur on one of my local cable channels and it fixed it with a couple of clicks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.