Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I decided that I needed to return to the store and take another look at the 42H81 to see what all this ghosting business is about (I didn't see it the first time round, but I have a tendency to be bothered by things pointed out after I buy something). I went in fully prepared to exchange it with the new JVC, and stared at both side by side for a good long time (aware of the limitations of the showroom floor). For me, the bottom line was, the Toshiba just has an extremely pleasant and film-like picture that I didn't see on any of the other sets. Upon close inspection, I could see ghosting on a few scenes, but it's not bothersome enough to reject it on this criteria alone. Other qualities I noticed more the second time, is just how well it handles NTSC, and how natural its non-linear stretch mode looks (the Hitachi was the worst offender here - horizontal pans on that set nearly made me dizzy). The JVC was nice, and I'm sure it kills the Toshiba when looking at calibration charts and the like, but it just didn't give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. I also didn't like the way the JVC handles NTSC - it reminded me of the Sony DRC in a way that I cannot currently articulate.

So I'm sticking with my original decision, and the 42H81 will be delivered this weekend. At that point, I think I will stop reading this forum so my enjoyment will not be hindered by you keeners and your further threads about Toshiba problems :)

So here's hoping I won't view that definitive scene where ghosting is so bad that I regret my decision.

Oh, and Michael, the salesman at my local store actually gave me your card, so hopefully I will see you in the future at some point - using the money I saved by not buying the JVC :)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just bought a 42H81 and it is great. The stretch modes are perfect,and even with crappy analog cable, I get really good picture. I also bought Direct Tv which will be installed next week, and I am sure it will be much better than analog. XBox and DVD's look great too. I considered the similar sized Mit and Hitachi, but Toshiba gave the best for 4:3 viewing. I think this is a great set.

·
Registered
234 Posts
A friend of mine has the (I think ) 57h81. He has his plain

old cable set on "Theatre wide 3" and I couldn't tell that

any stretching of the picture had occured! Only crawlers

and news tickers at the very bottom were cut off a bit.

The picture is fairly good, limited by his mediocre source.

It's caused me to carefully look at 40-50 inch RPTV HD

monitors in a new light (especially Toshiba's)!!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'm happy for you tammes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.