AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Toshiba 42H81. I was going thru the manual, and trying to configure the tv, and I came across a few things I could not find answers too. I would really appreciate any posts.

1. In the TheaterWide1 mode, the manual says there should be no picture loss, however I see very little from the top. Is this something to do with my Tv, or all 42H81's are like this?

2. In the TheaterWide2 and 3 modes, I played with the Scroll Screen option to bring the image down so that there would be no picture loss at the top. However even with the max -20 setting, I can still see some picture loss.

3. The manual says the picture height could be set, but it does not say how. And I could not really find it in the Tv menu. Does this have to be done manually by the service guys?

The reason I am so paranoid about the top of the screen is that, it chops people's head off, and in games they put some useful information on the top bar.

Thanks...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm curious about this also - in the showroom at a dealer I noticed ALL of the Toshiba RPTVs were missing pic info on the top....is this another problem Toshiba has to deal with??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Loss of a slight amount of picture information is the nature of the beast when is comes to 16X9. I have not seen a widescreen TV yet that you don't lose some picture info in stretch modes. Toshiba is one of the better ones out their. I have the same set and as far as I know you can not adjust the picture height and width except in the service menu. I watch a lot of sports and don't notice much info loss during the broadcasts. The Networks are setting the banners low enough to get most of the sets out on the market covered in stretch mode. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answer. It was helpful. Can you explain what the service menu is? and how I can adjust the width and height using the service menu?

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
127 Posts
bighifi:

I guess I wasn't clear in my post - the showroom had several 16X9 RPTVs (Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi & Toshiba) all playing the same HD feed (a 16X9 feed). ALL the Toshiba sets were missing pic info on the top compared to the other brands.

I also noticed that Toshiba's 4:3 HDTV Tube when playing in 'anamorphic' mode, seems stretched verticaly when compared to Sony's & Panasonic's similar TV's....perhaps there's a problem with Toshiba's chip or software???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.