AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm dissappointed with my purchase of a Toshiba 32HFX71 (a 'Tube' set that has problems playing anamorphic DVDs properly and the picture tends to shift from light to dark!) I've been given the OK by the retailer to rturn the set, but now what to buy??

I was looking at the Toshiba 42H81 & Panasonic PT-47WX51 - both around the same price, the Panasonics has an edge in size, but the Toshiba's pic looked sharper (but also seemed to cut off the top of the picture- is there a overscan adjutment??). What to do? What to do?

OR I could go with the Toshiba 34HF81 (widescreen tube) for a bit more- but will it have the same annoying value changes as the 32HFX71??

I'm open to all advice, as well as sugestions of other models in this price range (I'd like a 16X9 set - 70% of my viewing is movies (DVD & laserdisc) the other 30% sports & misc.) Or if there's a website with impartial reviews, please point me in that direction

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Rooster, I absolutely guarantee you that the store sets are completely screwed up in their settings and in how they are displaying the antenna feed. You simply cannot judge a set in store. I have seen the 64" Pioneer ELITE look like complete crap at a local Tweeter, despite the fact that the set is probably the best on the market. :rolleyes:

The Toshiba is a good set, but suffers from a ghosting problem that is very annoying once you are aware of it. I have the Panasonic and bought it for many reasons: Cheap, very tweakable, large size for the price, no need for a stand.

I LOVE my set. You just need to be aware that once you own one of these, there is work to be done. www.panny.tv is a site dedicated to the TV.

Out the box, your contrast, brightness, sharpness, color will be way too high. All will need to come down. Once adjusted, picture improves greatly. (this really applies to all sets).

If you are worried about kids or pets touching the screen, get the 47WX51. If not, then get the 47WX49, which has no protective screen and therefore, no glare.

My father was so jealous of my TV that he convinced mom he needed one, so now they have the exact same set and they love it too.

Things you need to be aware of with 16X9 TV's:

1. Regular TV programs are not windscreen and therefore must be viewed either in 4:3 mode (gray bars on the sides), ZOOM mode, or JUST/STRETCH mode (picture is stretched, mostly on the sides, to fill TV).

2. Using 4:3 mode is DANGEROUS and could damage your TV with what is called Burn-In. I DO NOT recommend using that mode more than 2 hours a week. Basically, less than 10% of your viewing. Burn-in is not covered under warranty.

3. VHS will look unwatchable on a RPTV. SVHS is bearable.

4. Some cable and satellite channels will look very poor on large screens.

5. DVD looks great, especially from a 480p player.

Research before you buy and good luck!

· Registered
309 Posts
I own the panny myself.....

for the price... I have no complaints..

in 480p from a panny rp56 in prog mode... the picture is great..

like all non ptube sets... showing 4:3 NTSC crap looks exactly that way... crappy

but HD, and Prog DVD looks great..

I calibrated it with the Avia... and I am awating to do it with the CA-1

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys 'd4lions' and Matt (the same Matt from Asian DVD Forum?? - if so Hi!).

The comment about 4:3 mode does scare me a bit - I do tend to watch a bit of Hockey & Football during the season, and during playoffs (like right now!) I take in a ton of hours. I guess I could watch in stretch mode.....but that's not ideal....

Also, I have about 400 Laserdiscs - how do they look on the Panny? They'd have to be Zoomed in a bit right (as they're not anamorphic)? What about foreign films with subs in the black bars - is it best to watch these in 4:3 mode - or can you shift the image up?

The reason I bout the 32" Toshiba 4:3 set to begin with was because I thought I could get the best of both worlds with it's ability to play anamorphic DVDs, and still play 4:3 stuff like my Laserdiscs, but I guess I'lljust have to bite the bullit and realize a set's either 16X9 or 4:3.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens ...2. Using 4:3 mode is DANGEROUS and could damage your TV with what is called Burn-In. I DO NOT recommend using that mode more than 2 hours a week. Basically, less than 10% of your viewing. Burn-in is not covered under warranty....
Matt -- I agree with recommending the Panny over the Tosh between these 2 particular sets, but (and not to digress too far) I'm curious as to why you'd say 2 hours per week here. What I've read suggests not more than 2 hours at a time -- the point is to "rotate" viewing mode. For example, the Pioneer user manual says that if you do use the set for something like a game with lots of static images, watch some regular full screen programming immediately after for a couple of hours. Which is not to say that leaving a 16:9 set in 4:3 most of the time is a good thing to do.

· Registered
278 Posts
Well, I guess I will play d****'s adovcate and disagree regarding Toshiba and ghosting. Not all Toshiba's have the ghosting problem as I own the 65h81 and don't have that problem. All of these set's have their issues and I would highly recommend seeing it for yourself and YOU be the judge!! Reading these forums are a great help but the final test should be what you can live with. Some set's have ghosting, red push, poor line doubler, etc, etc, etc, YADA, YADA, YADA :) :) :)

My Toshiba actually looks rather decent with my satellite picture but alot depends upon your seating distance. The closer you are the more artifacts you will see. Good luck!!

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Rooster, yes, I am THE Matt Stevens. :D I hear you about the 4:3 sports, but believe me, you get used to the stretch mode (JUST on the Panny). I never thought I would the first day i had the set and yet a week later, it was just the normal thing. Plus, for FOX NEWS I use ZOOM and move the picture down ton crop all the crappy bugs and logos at the bottom of the screen. Not only is it great to not see all that garbage, bit it gets rid of the burnin risk.

Laserdiscs are a problem on any set without a good line doubler. The sets under 3K simply do not have line doublers worth a damn for LD's and therefore, when zooming in on LD's, you will have a soft image. It sucks, but if you are 10ft+ from the screen, it should not be a problem. The better the LD player the better the picture. A very generous AVS member is currently lettuing me borrow his Pioneer CLD-D504 and it produces a picture that is pleasing to the eye, while somewhat soft. DVD blows LD away, but hey, what can you do? I would rather be future compatible and have HD in 1080i on a 16X9 screen.

GC3, I say 2 hours per week as it is a VERY safe bet that you will never, ever suffer from burnin that way. The TV's gray bar mode is more like super duper WHITE bar mode (unless you are ISF calibrated, which reduces the white to gray) and therefore, is dangerous. Now, if I use the DISH 6000's Gray Bar mode for 4:3 programs like SURVIVOR (from CBD-HD) or SEX IN THE CITY (HBO), I feel it's less of a risk since the bars are very neutral and lack the horrid dark borders of the Panny's gray bar mode.

Basically, less is more. And please, do not use the Picture in/out Picture mode for more than 1% of your viewing, as it has bright white borders that will damage your CRT's.

Good luck, Rooster. Feel free to ask questions. That's what we are here for. :cool:

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Matt,

My LD player is a Pioneer DVL-909 on my set up, so hopefully it's 'peformance is decent enough.

A couple of more questions - I'm a little over 8 ft away from my TV in my current set up, but a year & a half down the road I'll have moved, and will have LESS space (about 5 1/2 feet) - will that be TOO close for a projection TV?

Also is the ONLY difference between the '49 & '51 the protective screen? I shouldn't have a problem with kids or pets, but the room does have a lot of dust - should I concider the screen? (is the reflection REALLY anoying?)

Thanks for the help!

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Gayle, when in zoom mode, in the picture menu, at the bottom is a toggle to move the picture up or down. It's defaults to "0" and you highlight it, click Enter and you can then move it up or down.

Rooster, yes, I do believe that you will be too close for a RPTV. Everything other than DVD and HD will look terribly soft and noisy. At that distance, there is one set that would be perfect and that is the 38" RCA. Go check it out at Sears, Best Buy or Circuit City. If I could buy one right now, I would, and put it in my bedroom. It's cheap (under 2200 from retail stores), has a huge tube image and the picture quality is outstanding. The line doubler is decent, so TV and LD will look good.

The 47WX51 comes with the screen protector and a back-lit remote. No other differences. The glare on those screens sucks. :(

· Registered
393 Posts
Matt,

Are you using your Malata with the Panny? How's it look? I'm selling my Tosh 50H81 (not because of any issues--I love it) because it's going to be too big for the next place I'm moving to, and I'm considering the Panny. The Malata is going to be my main player now that I've decided to ditch DVD-Audio and my JVC XV-SA75. Any input about the Malata+Panny combo will be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt,

I realize that 5 1/2 ft is too close (and I'm not 100% positive on what room the set will go in when I move, so I could proberly get about 8-10 ft if I rearange the layout) but is my CURRENT set up of 8 1/2 ft too close?? The majority of my viewing is films (mostly DVD, but also LD) but I don't have a HD receiver, and probably won't for the near future.

Also, is cleaning the Panny's screen of dust without the protective sheild tricky? or is it just a damp towel?

I'm also considering getting a X-box - does the Panny handle it well? I know that several of the games are 16:9, so I wouldn't have to play in 4:3 mode.

Thanks

· Registered
13,761 Posts
I do not have an X-Box, so no idea. But lots of folks at www.panny.tv do, so I am sure there are threads on this very subject.

Cleaning is easy. I have one of those duster brushes. It is super duper soft, like fur, and I gently wave it across it every few days. Dust never builds up. For more in depth cleaning, you dampen a 100% cotten T-Shirt. It must be super soft. You go with the grain (up and down) and never, ever side to side or in circles.

8 1/2 ft is actually fine. I am 7 1/2 ft and I wish I could move back one foot.

As for the Malata, you would face a heavily armed fanatic if you tried to remove it from my living room, eujin. :D Suffice to say, I LOVE that deck and find it works perfectly with the Panasonic. 480p is just wonderful It ain't High Definition, but it is absolutely superior to 480i.

· Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
As for the Malata, you would face a heavily armed fanatic if you tried to remove it from my living room, eujin. :D Suffice to say, I LOVE that deck and find it works perfectly with the Panasonic. 480p is just wonderful It ain't High Definition, but it is absolutely superior to 480i.
I'll second that. The Malata N996 is an outstanding player; a perfect match for my Toshiba 50H81. Multi-region capability and PAL-NTSC conversion are added bonuses. I wouldn't be without it.

--Jerome

· Premium Member
14,310 Posts
Sorry to bring this up, but it is an important point. The Panasonic locks in FULL mode with a progressive signal. This prevents you from fully utilizing a RP-56 or other player without built in scaling. 4x3 material and non-anamorphic DVDs will not be displayed properly. The Toshibas do not lock in full mode.

· Premium Member
14,310 Posts
If you are going to use the Malata (which I love except for its deinterlacing) and don't care to use a DVD player without scaling (for superior deinterlacing), the lock in full issue doesn't matter.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Marc Alexander:

I'm not 100% certain what you're saying - if I use a common progressive DVD player on the Panny while watching a non-anamorphic title the image will be stretched?? And I can't do anything about it?

But if my player is not progressive, I can change the mode and watch in a more suitable mode? Or if I have a Malata I can use that player scale feature to correct the problem?

Have I got all of that right? Thanks

· Premium Member
14,310 Posts
Quote:
I'm not 100% certain what you're saying - if I use a common progressive DVD player on the Panny while watching a non-anamorphic title the image will be stretched?? And I can't do anything about it?

But if my player is not progressive, I can change the mode and watch in a more suitable mode? Or if I have a Malata I can use that player scale feature to correct the problem?

Have I got all of that right? Thanks
Exactly!!! I couldn't have said it better myself!

· Premium Member
14,310 Posts
I find the Panasonic picture to be darker than others. I would say build quality is equal between Toshiba and Panny. Personally, I would look at the 43" Hitachi...very bright picture. I don't like having to control ambient light.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there a web resource for the 43" Hitachi (similar to the Panny site)???

One reason why I'm leaning towards a Panny is because of that great site - I have confidence making adjustments with the instructions provided.

If I do get the Panny, it'll be on a raised level (about 7" up) - the stand that comes with the set is already pretty tall - add to the fact I'm about 8 1/2' away from the set - will that create too low of an angle for viewing, or am I being paranoid.

Also, does anyone know if Toshiba's ghosting problems definitly affects the 42H81?? Is there a link to a description of the problem?

Just trying to choose the RIGHT set this time, don't want to go through customer service hell again.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.