AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely new to Rear-Projection TVs. I have a tube right now and was about to buy another but I was looking at projections and noticed I could get for the same amount of money a much bigger set. However, I am curious about projection. Is the picture quality as good as a tube? I love my tube and I was looking at the Toshiba 30HF83, a 30" HDTV, that looked great, but does a projection look as good, as sharp. So then I started looking at the 42HDX82. Also does this set display 720p or convert it? Becuase no tubes can display 720p. All in all, is an HDTV projection (specifically 42HDX82) as sharp as an HDTV tube (specifically 30HF83)?

Thanks.

Also, what is the viewing angle on this, or most, projection TVs?

Any info on RPTVs I should consider would be very helpful!

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
These are very basic projection questions not related directly to that set you mentioned.

Most people do like like rear projectors because of the lack of perceived picture quality to the untrained eye.

The reason for this is:

1. The TV isn't setup correctly.

2. The signal source is poor (cable, poor antenna etc.)

3. The room is too bright or the sun shines at the screen.

4, You are sitting too close.

5. The TV isn't setup correctly.

Personaly I can't see watching a 36" (or smaller) piece of glass! I haven't for 18 years or so.

The newer Toshiba's should be out shortly. Some of the new ones have the tuner built in which is what I want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sun does shine on my set where I have it, sometimes. I do 80% of my watching at night so that isnt a big deal, but I have no idea how to "set-up" or calibrate a TV... does that matter?

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Yes it does!

The number one problem with just about ANY TV is the contrast is set way too high! It is done that way purposely so the set will look better in a store with all the other sets that have the contrast up all the way!

Just as with audio speakers, just because one is louder than another doesn't make it better!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never have my constrast higher than 75, but I don't know how to do all the crazy service menu adjustments, unless it is easy... and is it nessesary?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.