AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had done quite abit of research [or so I thought] on various models within my price range and decided on this model. The picture quality for faces,skin tones and very white backgrounds is terrible! Faces and skin in general is extremely blotchy in shades which are reddish and silvery.When part of the face is shaded it looks a crappy grey. I do not yet have an HD source, but the picture is the same whether the source is my standard NTSC cable or a DVD. I have tried everything I can within the sets adjustments for color, contrast etc. with no avail. The set is only about six weeks old, and am trying to exchange it for another brand, but am having trouble returning it [ another storey!]. I even contacted a certified ISF technician to re-calibrate the set, and his comment was that this brand and model are known for this problem based on it having only an 8 bit processor etc, and a recalibration will not resolve the problem!Any input would be highly appreciated. Needless to say this is my first HD set, and I am extremely disappointed with the set and the retail outlet.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I had purchased a 42HP83 display model some time ago and had the same results you're describing. I was very disappointed with the look of fleshtones. Strange how it seems to only affect those colors.

Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and return the set, so I don't know if it's a problem with the set or an adjustments thing. I ended up returning the set due to the fact that it was a floor model and I didn't want to get stuck with a lemon. 30 day return policy.

In any event, I would suggest you consider having a toshiba tech take a look at the set. They may be able to adjust the picture by accessing picture color settings that are not available to the user. I was planning on trying this, but the time required to get a repair person to my home would have made the return timing very close. I do however believe this may be simply a picture setting issue.

To get an idea of the picture quality. Try running Monsters Inc. on DVD. This DVD look right for the most part. What a spectacular picture.

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Thanks for your input. I am waiting for a Toshiba dealer to look at the set. From what I have heard, they will not be able to repair it. I really want to get a different set. Nothing worse than having problems with something new and the performance does not meet ones expectations. I was also hoping that I would hear from others on this site that have had the same or a similar problem. I am new to this site , and it is obvious there are alot of well informed individuals whose knowledge base is much better than mine on these issues. As I had said in my initial thread it is really frustrating that the retailer is also not overly concerned or helpful.

Thanks again and thank you in advance for any others input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.