AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title states, do the hm84 models have a HDMI input and a DVI input or just an HDMI input? The reason I am asking is because I am going to be hooking my Oppo DVD player up through the HDMI, and I am trying to figure out whether or not to order a DVI cable to connect my comcast box up with, if not i will just run component from the comcast box to the tv. Also is there anything special about dual ColorStream HD high-resolution component video inputs? Thanks in advance for dealing with my stupid questions ;)

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Your questions are not stupid. The TV has one HDMI input. No DVI. Hook up the Oppo using a DVI/HDMI cable, and use component cables for anything else you connect to the set. ColorStream is just Toshiba advertising lingo for component video.

Remember to calibrate the HDMI input using one of the readily available calibration DVD's such as Avia. If you have the DVR cable tuner from Comcast, record the HD calibration program that is aired on the INHD channel on Saturday mornings. You can use the recording to calibrate the component video input the cable tuner is connected to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1
Your questions are not stupid. The TV has one HDMI input. No DVI. Hook up the Oppo using a DVI/HDMI cable, and use component cables for anything else you connect to the set. ColorStream is just Toshiba advertising lingo for component video.

Remember to calibrate the HDMI input using one of the readily available calibration DVD's such as Avia. If you have the DVR cable tuner from Comcast, record the HD calibration program that is aired on the INHD channel on Saturday mornings. You can use the recording to calibrate the component video input the cable tuner is connected to.
Thank you very much for your time and answers. The TV is coming tomorrow and Comcast is not coming until next week. I am getting just the regular HDTV tuner not DVR. Now if I buy the Avia disc or similar, do I need to calibrate the HDMI input before I hook anything up to it, or is this something I can do a week or two down the road? Thanks again.

·
Registered
15,821 Posts
You can wait before adjusting your settings with AVIA, but the PQ will not be optimized uintil you do so. AVIA is a DVD, so what you need to do is adjust your settings for the HDMI input by playing AVIA on your Oppo (using a DVI-to-HDMI cable). You should also hook up your Oppo to your component input (the Oppo outputs 480i but not 480p over component) in order to adjust your settings for your component inputs, which will be different than for HDMI. Good luck with your new toys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BillP,

Thanks. That helps a lot. I ordered the DVI-HDMI cable with the Oppo. I am sure I will have fun, with a little frustration. I am now trying to figure out what receiver and speakers to go with. I am leaning towards some ascends possibly and the panny xr-55. Well that is another topic. Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: am I looking for this- Avia Guide to Home Theater

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali77
BillP,

Thanks. That helps a lot. I ordered the DVI-HDMI cable with the Oppo. I am sure I will have fun, with a little frustration. I am now trying to figure out what receiver and speakers to go with. I am leaning towards some ascends possibly and the panny xr-55. Well that is another topic. Thanks for your help guys.

Edit: am I looking for this- Avia Guide to Home Theater
Either AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) will work for calibration and they both have their strong points. Both can be ordered through Amazon and DAVE can also be ordered through Circuit City. One suggestion I will make is after you calibrate your input check it again in about three to four weeks as if your display is like mine the settings may change once the TV has it's break in period. Congratulations with your new purchase and if you have any questions post them in the Toshiba HM/HMX Owners thread.

P.S. Can I ask why you didn't get the DVR? The cost difference is negligible and I can't live without mine now that I have it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't even look into the DVR. I will look at it right now. Comcast is not coming until next week. So I am sure I can switch it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
I didn't even look into the DVR. I will look at it right now. Comcast is not coming until next week. So I am sure I can switch it. Thanks.
Check it out. With any luck maybe you can get one of the newer 6412's which have HDMI as opposed to DVI so you can go HDMI>HDMI as opposed to DVI>HDMI. If I remember correctly the difference is $5 a month and you get dual tuner recording capability. This allows you to record two programs simultaneously and you can even watch a pre-recorded program on the DVR while the two programs are recording. I have a cable card also so I can even record two shows and watch a third on my ANT input Even though a have the cable card I wouldn't trade in my DVR. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044
Check it out. With any luck maybe you can get one of the newer 6412's which have HDMI as opposed to DVI so you can go HDMI>HDMI as opposed to DVI>HDMI. If I remember correctly the difference is $5 a month and you get dual tuner recording capability. This allows you to record two programs simultaneously and you can even watch a pre-recorded program on the DVR while the two programs are recording. I have a cable card also so I can even record two shows and watch a third on my ANT input Even though a have the cable card I wouldn't trade in my DVR. :D
I think I am going to upgrade, getting ready to call them. It is $9.99 here in MD I would not be able to hook it up via HDMI or DVI though :( I will be using the HDMI for the Oppo, and there is no DVI. On a side note my TV came in this morning, the stand won't be here until next week(backorder). I also ordered a HK AVR630 and the HK FL 8385 cd changer yesterday. Got good deals on both refurbed throuh there egay store. Now I just need to decide on what speakers. I am leaning towards the Ascend CMT-340 center and Mains with some old bookshelves I have for surrounds.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
I think I am going to upgrade, getting ready to call them. It is $9.99 here in MD I would not be able to hook it up via HDMI or DVI though
In my area with Comcast the HD box is $5 and the DVR is $9.95 so for less than $5 it was worth it. Don't worry about the DVI input as most people don't seem to notice a difference in PQ between DVI and component on the 6412's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.