AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently aquired a like new 46" Regza in a trade deal with a person. So far I love the TV. It hooks up nicely to my PC (via HDMI).

Before this deal I signed up for DISH because I was able to get a better deal on a monthly rate vs. DirectTV. So I sign up for two years and get a dual tuner dish box that can broadcast to 1 HD tv and one SD tv.

So I get the new TV and I call up DISH and they tell me its going to cost me $200 bucks for a HD / recordable single tuner box. So I am like WTF and please give me a break! Dish won't budge.

So I go online on eBay and purchase a 100ft. hdmi cord, with an amp on one end. My thinking is to split the signal (eventually) and run the cord through the walls and underneath the house to where the 46" sits, in my home office. The dish box is hooked up in the living room to a 50" plasma.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The cord arrives today and I test it by running the cord down the hall and into the office and hook it into the TV. Literally after 45 seconds the signal appears and it looks great...but there is no sound. I hook it up to the Xbox 360 (also in the living room) and it to has a slight delay but has sound and looks fantastic.

The whole reason I was doing all of this is so I can watch DVR and live HD tv from my Dish box but without sound I am not sure what I can do to fix this. Do I need to buy another extender?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) You can't split HDMI.

2) What model Dish receiver do you have?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
HDCP content protection is not designed to be split, it needs to be able to handshake with one display device or repeater, it may or may not work as a result..

I found one post that recommended rebooting the VIP722 by holding the power button in for over 10 secs, it resolved the guys no audio over HDMI issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply mjones. I will give it a try once my kid is done watching Sesame Street and report back. I did hit the reboot button but I did not hold it down for 10 seconds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arg! No luck. Maybe I can run the HDMI and the sound side by side when I run it through the walls? Not sure whats all involved, I would like just basic stereo, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by favek /forum/post/18154645

Arg! No luck. Maybe I can run the HDMI and the sound side by side when I run it through the walls? Not sure whats all involved, I would like just basic stereo, nothing fancy.

You may want to try the Dish Network section over at dbstalk, they have more extensive knowledge of VIP 722 over there. It doesn't make sense that the cable is carrying video fine and not audio, they are streamed digitally together.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If you get the audio problem solved you still have an issue with splitting the HDMI. The $200 for an HD / recordable single tuner box will probably be less than you will spend to maybe get this to work. If it does work you will have to watch the same channel on both TVs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mjones. I will try it over there as well. My friend that works for Dish is coming over tonight to check it all out.

@HDMI guy. I don't mind having the same picture on both TV's because in most cases they won't be watched at the same time. If I can spend around $70 and get this to work then I can avoid those BS leasing / DVR fee's...not to mention a save on my electricity bill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.