AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie alert, newbie alert!!!

I am looking into my first home theater upgrade in decades and I am a lost puppy. I have decided that I will be purchasing a Denon AVR-2809 receiver and Harmon Kardon HKTS18 speakers for my sound (small setup, but I am stuck in an apartment). I have been reading and researching TV's and the further I get into this the more confused I am.

At the moment I am trying to decide between Toshiba Regza 46XV545U and Samsung LN46A650 or 750. I am looking for a simple one or the other answer (is there such an answer?) Both have pros and cons, but can anyone help this poor confused old fart out?

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyja /forum/post/15433681

Newbie alert, newbie alert!!!

I am looking into my first home theater upgrade in decades and I am a lost puppy. I have decided that I will be purchasing a Denon AVR-2809 receiver and Harmon Kardon HKTS18 speakers for my sound (small setup, but I am stuck in an apartment). I have been reading and researching TV's and the further I get into this the more confused I am.

At the moment I am trying to decide between Toshiba Regza 46XV545U and Samsung LN46A650 or 750. I am looking for a simple one or the other answer (is there such an answer?) Both have pros and cons, but can anyone help this poor confused old fart out?

Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

You can search my posts for my own comparisons between the toshiba 52xv545u and the samsung ln52a630. Just click on my user name on the left side of page. The screens on the 650 and 750 are very reflective. If you have a lot of windows or light that could be an issue. Ive heard the 650 and 750 have similiar pq. The 750 just adds a couple of features you may or may not use. Bezels are a little different - most seem to like the 750 bezel more. I dont think the stand on the 750 swivels.

I owned the samsung 630 but now I have the toshiba 545. I would have copared with the 650 if it werent for the screen reflections. Good luck with your decision. They are all great tvs.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I've cross compared them numerous times for hours and I would hands down choose the Samsung 750 for PQ and Pop and added built-in sound with it's hidden subwoofer and other features if you have control over reflections.

I would never even consider the Toshiba as a replacement unless Budget limits forced it - the Sony "W" or "XBR" or "Z" is the only close performer IMO and experience or perhaps the LG 70 is very close. I've compared without knowing which Samsung I was viewing in each size and the 750 was best every time so it's either better out of the box or BB has been calibrating them to provide an advantage to the 750.

If you jump ship from Samsung go with the Sony to prevent reflections or the LG70 and I'd never thought I'd recommend an LG previous to this newer generation and more improvements on the way in 09.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/15434497

I've cross compared them numerous times for hours and I would hands down choose the Samsung 750 for PQ and Pop and added built-in sound with it's hidden subwoofer and other features if you have control over reflections.

I would never even consider the Toshiba as a replacement unless Budget limits forced it - the Sony "W" or "XBR" or "Z" is the only close performer IMO and experience or perhaps the LG 70 is very close. I've compared without knowing which Samsung I was viewing in each size and the 750 was best every time so it's either better out of the box or BB has been calibrating them to provide an advantage to the 750.

If you jump ship from Samsung go with the Sony to prevent reflections or the LG70 and I'd never thought I'd recommend an LG previous to this newer generation and more improvements on the way in 09.

Westa,

Have you compared the toshiba 545? They also have an excellent pq with pop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't let Samsung trick you into getting the 750. With the 750 the only feature differences from the 6xx's are a bunch of wizz bang stuff that Samsung has added such as ethernet and some included content on memory in the TV and a pretty bezel. To me that isn't important but it may be to you. As far as the content and RSS stuff the major video game consoles have much better implementations of such things.

The 650 and even the 630 are identical other than the screen finish, matte vs gloss. In that case PQ is a perception issue, to me the matte screens look better and are less rough on my vision.

I ended up purchasing a 630 which I kept for almost a month and has since been returned. Some Samsung TVs have an issue whereby the audio out on the TV to the reciever noticeably lags the picture as well as the TVs speakers themselves. If you run the TV speakers and an external speaker at the same time you end up with a nice echo effect. Samsung replaced the audio board which did not resolve it.

It's notable that the tech said the 630/650/750 all have the identical AV board and may have this issue. Samsung basically denies it's existence although there are numerous threads on the web about it at this point. I think you want to take this problem into consideration given the setup you plan to have.

So now the Toshiba is on back order for me. I will let you know my impressions as soon as I get it and have had more than 2 hours to play with it. :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I compared the toshiba 545 and the samsung 630 side by side in my home and the colors on the toshiba were much richer and deeper on the toshiba. The samsung wasnt bad most of the time but the toshiba was definitely better and sharper. The blacks were better on the toshiba just like the reviewer wrote. Contrast and shadow detail was also much better on toshiba.There wasnt really anything about the samsung 630 picture that was better than the toshiba picture.The 650 and 750 is probably closer to the toshibas pq and colors but I havent seen them next to my toshiba in my living room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.