AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it to be an introduction to DVD-Audio technology. I have a few DVD-Audio discs that I am using in my current DVD player utilizing the dolby digital compatible tracks.

There's two odd things about the 4700 player.

1. I have Philip Glass' 'Koyaanisqatsi' and Ton Koopman's 'Bach Organ Spectacular' on DVD-A. Both are marked on the case for Dolby Digital, Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo. When I put the disc in the Toshiba, I cannot access the Advanced Resolution Stereo. I can toggle between two mixes on the disc, but both read 6 Channel PPCM and there's no difference. I have no idea what the deal is here.

2. The dropouts. Koyaanisqatsi is one continuous piece of music with track markings. Whenever the player hits a track marking, there's a second of silence and then it resumes with the first second of the next track. Major issue. I tried several DVD's and the sound doesn't do that on the DVD's. Hence, I'm perplexed.

If anybody has any insight to these two issues, please post here. Needless to say, I'm going to take this thing right back to Best Buy. I'm not sure if the issues I am having are from a faulty unit or it's just a sign of the quality.

My rating - el sucko.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up the 4700 last weekend also. I used Metallica to try out the DVD-A features. Since I didn'thave 6 extra cables lying around I wasn't able to use the analog outputs on the back of the 4700 (couldbe why you were having difficulties if you were using the digital outs). Since the analog outputs are required for the "Enhanced Resolution" recordings I used the DD 5.1 mixes instead.

I did notice that you can still get a stereo signal from digital outputs, but you will not get the full 6 channels of DVD-A sound without the analog outputs. This slightly confused me at first. The 4700 factory settings give priority to DVD-A material and since the Metallica (as well as most other DVD-A titles) have both DVD-A and DVD-V (for the DD5.1) material, the 4700 was automatically going into DVD-A mode and I couldn't get the surround channels (because I was using the digital optical output) , but I could get a stereo signal, which incidentally, my receiver recognized as 96kHz PCM.

The only way I could find to get the DD 5.1 signal was to change the settings of the 4700 to make DVD-V the priority instead of DVD-A and eject and reinsert the disc. The 4700 then recognized it as a DVD-V disc and sent out the DD 5.1 signal through the digital outputs.

I can't say if I noticed the pause between tracks since the Metallica disc is not continuous. Hopefully I'll get ambitious this weekend and buy some cables to hook up the analog outputs.

For movies the 4700 seems quite nice, though I still haven't had much of a chance to watch. Progressive mode seems to be noticeably brighter and a little sharper than interlaced.

Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the RP56 video image is a bit softer(but very watchable, less artifacts), the colors are not quite as vibrant, black not as black as SD4700, lacks a lot of features.

The SD4700 colors jump out at you, image is little harsh, but audio capabilities are better, packs a lot of features, doesn't have the name brand de-interlacer chip like the RP56 does. I'm using the 6ch analog outputs for DVD-Audio and it sounds awesome. SD4700 uses the Zoran Vladdis V chip, which did win an award at CES. For me, both players were the same price. I opted for more bang for the buck, less chance of upgrading in future for DVD-Audio.

My un-official two cents

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you have change any audio settings to get the DVD-A out of the analog outputs?

I played with it briefly, but I don't have the cables and was wondering whether the 4700 automatically enabled the analog outputs if a DVD-A disc was detected. I know if I leave the audio settings at Bitstream it will send out a stereo signal from the digital outputs, but couldn't verify if it was sending the full 5.1 enhanced from the analog at the same time.

Have you found a way to switch from DVD-A material to the DVD-Video material on the same disc without changing the settings and reinserting the disc?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there a much difference btw 4700 and 3750? I have 3750 and had JVC 65GD and Pana R56. It appears that JVC has a bit more sharper picture and better color than the other two. 3750's image was about as soft as R56, if not softer. However, after tweaking with some picture settings offered by 3750, it looks a bit better.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corrie P
I think the RP56 video image is a bit softer(but very watchable, less artifacts), the colors are not quite as vibrant, black not as black as SD4700, lacks a lot of features.

The SD4700 colors jump out at you, image is little harsh, but audio capabilities are better, packs a lot of features, doesn't have the name brand de-interlacer chip like the RP56 does. I'm using the 6ch analog outputs for DVD-Audio and it sounds awesome. SD4700 uses the Zoran Vladdis V chip, which did win an award at CES. For me, both players were the same price. I opted for more bang for the buck, less chance of upgrading in future for DVD-Audio.

My un-official two cents

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to set the audio settings for 6ch analog in the setup menu to get the DVD-A 6 channel output.

As for the other issue, I can't seem to find a way to switch it to DVD-V without reinserting the disc. There's a preference option in the setup that is set to DVD-A by default. I don't know if there any better luck setting up as DVD-V and trying to toggle over to DVD-A.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have read the manual cover to cover and have played around with my SD4700 and I haven't discovered a way to change the priority from DVD-audio to DVD-video without the menu change and restarting the disc.

However, last night I noticed the SD4700 is outputting a signal on the 6channel analog and the bitstream/PCM connections simultaneously. I was switching between the 6channel analog output and the optical output on my receiver while listening to a song. I was using a normal CD and not a DVD-audio so I'm not sure if it works on DVD-Audio disc. I will experiment tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.