AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to hook up a Toshiba 4800 dvd player to a Kenwood 6060 to play dvd audios? All movies play great surround sound sounds great, but I bought an audio dvd and was not impressed. Also the kenwood did not set itself automatically like it does on movies. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Haavok1:

In order to get DVD-Audio to play through your receiver, you need to connect the DVD player to the receiver through the 6-channel analog connections. I am not familiar with your receiver, so I can't even tell you whether or not it HAS multi-channel analog capability. You will need one decent cable for each channel (L + R + Center + R Surround + L Surround + Subwoofer). Assuming the Kenwood 6060 has multichannel capability, you will also probably have to tell it that you are playing a DVD-A (on my Pioneer receiver, there is a special setting - different from playing DVD video). Note also that many multichannel discs output five full-range signals (all channels except the sub) and if your speakers aren't full range, you will simply not hear that part of the signal (this is what "bass management" is used for).

You will normally hear something if you play a DVD-Audio since most of them also have Dolby Digital and/or DTS audio tracks as well but the full high resoultion DVD-A signal is MUCH, MUCH better. Enjoy :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
mnilan speaks the truth. :)

I just wanted to add that this is not something specific to the SD-4800. The digital cable (coax or optical) was designed for stereo CD data, and doesn't have the bandwidth needed to handle the multi-channel, high resolution, high sample-rate data that a DVD-A (or SACD) contains.

So, the only way to get the full DVD-Audio from the player to the amplifier is via the six analog RCA connectors.

And, as mnilan also mentioned, you'll probably need to use bass management . From a quick look at the specs on your Kenwood, it looks like you're able to do bass management on the multi-channel analog inputs, although it's digital bass management and so requires a reconversion from analog to digital, and then another digital to analog conversion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.