AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a brochure on a new Toshiba 50" plasma the other day that had an HDCP enabled DVI input. I haven't seen much talk about Toshiba on this forum, or many for sale at the usual places, for that matter. Is anyone familiar with these? If the picture is decent, the presence of the HDCP compliant input would seem to make this a worthy consideration if the price were competitive.

Peter

·
Registered
263 Posts
Peter:

Toshiba plasmas are hard to find in B&M stores, so apparently few AVS members have been able to evaluate them and buy them. I have seen 2 of the 42"plamas at Cambridge Soundworks. It is a very good plasma. It is a rebadged NEC 42MP4 but with DVI/HDCP. I have not been able to see it side by side with the Panasonic 42HD plasma. but have seem it next to several Sony Plasmas. People in showroom all found the Toshiba more appealing in terms of PQ with HDnet. Reviews of NEC HD vs Panny HD suggest that they are very close in quality with the NEC having a somewhat "sharper" image, the Panny somewhat better black level, the NEC having somwhat better remote, zoom function etc. the Panny being more quiet. Still the Panny HD and even the Panny ED seem on the whole to win the competition when viewed side by side. Unfortunately, Panny has dragged its feet on DVI/HDCP and it won't be on their HD models until late next Fall while the Toshiba/NEC is available now. Oh yes, also saw the Toshiba with NTSC signals off DirecTV. I think it does a marginally better job than the Panny even with tough things like basketball, but would feel more comfortable with that opinion only if I could see them side by side. Would like to hear from others who have studied Toshiba and the Panny.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Don't have personal experience, but I think Home Theater Magazine did a review of the 50" Toshiba a couple of months ago and really liked it a lot, save the blacks weren't quite as good as the Panny. At least that's my recollection.

·
Registered
463 Posts
avguide.com review this unit a while ago. Gave it great marks for scaling (perhaps the best available at the time, they said), but somewhat weak black levels compared to Panasonic and Fujitsu. They recommended it for all around viewing with ambient light present.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
Don't have personal experience, but I think Home Theater Magazine did a review of the 50" Toshiba a couple of months ago and really liked it a lot, save the blacks weren't quite as good as the Panny. At least that's my recollection.
Actually I think you are talking about the Perfect Vision Magazine

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You're right! No wonder I couldn't find it on the HTMag website. I get 3 different HT magazines and I got confused. Thanks.

Anyone know the difference in the models? The HX81 doesn't mention HDCP.

My main knock on the Toshiba is the silver bezel. I really like black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.