AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I asked a similar question a year ago when I bought my TV, but the 'problem' seems to have corrected itself.... Please be patient with me...

I own a Toshbia 50" HDX set...

I used to own an UltimateTV set that when it recognized a Letterbox show, it would send the TV a letterbox signal.

The Toshibia has 5 screen settings:

- "normal" - which seems to always give a 4:3 picture, not matter what it receives

- "Theater Wide 1" - stretches a 4:3 to a nice 16:9

- TW 2 - never use, too much zoon

- TW 3 - another zoom setting, which when used on a 'letterbox' show, zooms almost properly, but still leaves a black band top and bottom, and I believe also cuts off some of the sides

- "Full" which pulls linearly to the sides, if letterbox, this would be perfect.

So my question is what do I need to do in order to watch a 16:9 letterboxed show (i.e. ER, West Wing, etc.) on my Toshbiia with TiVo (which has no functional setting for widescreen, it simply passes the signal it gets from DirecTV to the TV). I have tried setting it to "Full." With the UltimateTV, it used to "pop" after a few seconds and the show would be perfect, but this no longer seems to work with TiVo.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Caleb

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well, just to report my experiences, is that TW2 and TW3 is used to un-letterbox, letterboxed 4:3 images. However, not all letterboxed 4:3 images are exactly 16:9 images. This is why sometimes to you still see some residual black bands when using TW3. I need to try either TW2 or TW3 to see which works better for the particular letterboxed show or movie. I agree, sometimes TW2 is too much but TW3 is too little.

Do you have the "auto-aspect" feature set to 'on'?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.