AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me my opinion on the Toshiba versus Samsung. From the specs, the Samsung looks better and I have been very happy with both of my Samsung LCDs. I am not familar with Toshiba though. Some differences from the specs appear to be:

Samsung: +USB, +Ethernet, +4ms response time, +50,000 dynamic contrast (although of course this is always a questionable spec), +a little lighter, -betterSD scaling on Toshiba (SRT)? -discrete IR codes, +HDMI CEC

The TV will be used in an open room with windows so viewing angle and contrast is important. So is displaying SD. Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkbjk /forum/post/15521537

A friend asked me my opinion on the Toshiba versus Samsung. From the specs, the Samsung looks better and I have been very happy with both of my Samsung LCDs. I am not familar with Toshiba though. Some differences from the specs appear to be:

Samsung: +USB, +Ethernet, +4ms response time, +50,000 dynamic contrast (although of course this is always a questionable spec), +a little lighter, -betterSD scaling on Toshiba (SRT)? -discrete IR codes, +HDMI CEC

The TV will be used in an open room with windows so viewing angle and contrast is important. So is displaying SD. Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks

I compared the toshiba 52xv545u side by side with the samsung ln52a630 for a week. There were things I liked and disliked about both. In the end I determined the toshiba had better overall picture quality. You can read some of my other posts for specific details. I didnt compare to the 650. Toshiba is not allowed to publish their actual response times - I have read its the same as the other samsung panels which makes sense because the 52xv545 uses the samsung panel.They also do not publish their contrast ratio but I can tell you it is very high. I found the toshiba colors and blacks were better than the 630 and it had a more detailed picture with the srt turned on. The colors on the toshiba seemed to pop more. Without srt picture details and sharpness were about the same. The difference in weight is minimal. Both use cec - toshiba calls it regza link and samsung calls it anynet. You can find detailed specs on the websites. I wish I could help you as far as comparing the 650 to the 545 but the 650 had too much reflection for my living room to even consider. Toshiba is more of a semi matte. Reflections may be a problem for your friend with the windows if he gets the 650. Viewing angle on the toshiba is very good.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The ethernet port feature is of no importance to me and most dvd players have usb ports now so that wasnt really a concern. I use my computer for most of that anyway.

·
Registered
15,998 Posts
Go look at them in several stores (since set-up can vary store-to-store) and see which you prefer. In general, Samsung gets better reviews than Toshiba for LCDs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts