AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I went to watch a movie on my 3 1/2yr old Toshiba today, on my week-old Pioneer DV-220V player, and couldn't get any picture. I thought it was because I switched back and forth a bunch of times from USB mode to DVD mode trying to get it to read the disc, so I shut everything off, took the disc out, unplugged the USB key that was in there, etc etc.

Turned it all back on, still nothing. Occasionally the screen would flicker green or purple, but for the most part just blank black screen (it's hooked up to the HDMI 2 input, set to 1080i output).

So I then switch to my Motorola/Starchoice box, hooked up to the HDMI 1 input. I get picture for a second and then it disappears (also set to 1080i output). Ok ,that's weird, I flip it to 720p output and it works for 10 or 15 seconds and then the colors go nuts but the picture is still "intact".

After about 10 or 15 seconds of that, what I can only describe as "tearing" (like in a buggy video game) begins happening all over the picture.

Now, when I switch to Component 2, which is hooked up to a Nintendo Wii at 480p output, the picture is fine... For about 10 seconds until the colors go nuts (like the satellite does initially), and then the tearing begins there as well.

I guess the best way I can describe this tearing is, the picture's color is already crazy at this point, and then it freezes the picture, and some parts start flashing colors and other parts stay intact in terms of lines and whatnot while shifting colors.

Now of course I let it sit for a half hour while I did some research, found this forum, and composed this post... And went back to the TV and turned it on to take some pictures of this stuff so it makes sense, and everything appears to be back to normal.

Should I be worried? Is this a sign that something significant is going to fail soon? I'm on the third bulb with this TV, the first one lasted just under a year (of very heavy use while i was in university), the second just over a year, and now this one was replaced either November 08 or early Feb 09 (it was either the day before Grey Cup or Superbowl, can't remember lol).

Anyways, the TV has received significantly less use on this third bulb, so I don't think it's ready to go quite yet. The only other failing part I've heard of is the color wheel? Anyway, please let me know if you've got any input or experience on this.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
The DVD part sounds as typical HDMI handshaking issues. How about the tried and true old fashioned RF input? How does that act? That's the 1st place I would look eliminating all outside sources, a direct RF cable from an antenna.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's baaack!

Yesterday, when I turned on the tv and dvd player, I got just a black screen (the tv info, ie input label, resolution, etc was all there but no picture). I turned the tv off, and back on right away (after the bulb actually shut off), and it did the same thing.

I checked the antenna input (hooked up to rabbit ears via coax) and just a black screen there too, again with the on-screen labels still appearing, on a channel that I get perfect reception on. I then checked the ColorStream (component video) input hooked up to my Wii and that was a black screen too.

I then left it off for an hour or two, and then turned it back on and everything was back to normal.

This morning, it did the same thing again. I turned it off, left it for 20min, and tried again, and no luck. The first time I turned it on, the dvd was giving black screen but the Wii was appearing normally, so I tried using the other hdmi input for the dvd player, but no luck... And then when I switched back to component for the Wii, it was black again.

I'm gonna be out for the next few hours so I shut everything off, and shut the powerbar off as well, so we'll see what happens when I get home... But any idea what's causing this? It went away for almost 3 months, and then now this!

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
Step one is getting the Service Manual for this. It looks as a whole board replacement is in order. Sorry, I couldn't tell you which one.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 65hm167 model Toshiba. Went to switch inputs and suddenly everything was blank.

I was able to get the menu for the TV to display, just no video.

All my connections are HDMI, so I ran a component cable from my cable box - nothing.

Same for the antenna input, which normally just shows video snow, as nothing is hooked up there.

Going to the menu, I did a reset of the set. The reset instructions were on the installation tab of the set's menu. After initiating the reset the set powered off and I unplugged, as the instructions stated.

Plugging the set back in after a few minutes everything returned fine. Video is present on all inputs. It's been several days and the issue has not recurred.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooo... I left it off all morning (I was gone about 5hrs all together), came home and turned the powerbar back on, let it sit for about 5 minutes just to be safe, and then flipped the tv and dvd back on. Aaaaand.... It works properly again.

I use a Logitech Harmony remote, which tries to "set" the correct input on the TV every time it's turned on, even if it's already on the correct input, and I'm wondering if the Harmony's method of turning on the TV, having it set to HDMI 1, and then the Harmony re-select HDMI 1 input while the TV is still powering up, is causing the issue... That's the only thing I can think of.

videobruce, any idea where I could find a service manual? A quick trip to google didn't turn up anything. And what would I be looking at (cost of parts only) do you figure for a "whole board replacement"?

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts