AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a mini "shootout" between these 2 Toshiba HD sets. To my surprise, the H81 was better than the HX81. Specifically, the HX81 was more "noisy" than the H81, especially on the HDTV & DV 480P sources. The H81 looked great.

Did I just happen to get a bad HX81 or has anyone else found the H81 to better than HX81?

I'm buying one of these and I want to make the right decision.

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hmmm... I find that interesting, especially since I will be purchasing a Toshiba set soon. The HX series was supposed to have improved "everything", therefore a supperior picture over the H series. Like you said, you could very well have had a bad HX set. Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks for the post.

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,118 Posts
Other than occasional references to "ghosting" on some HX's, the general concensus seems to be that the HX is superior--not dramatically, but better...color, much less glare and a little sharper is what ya tend to hear.

Of course, opinions vary!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Frankly in out of the box performance there is not much to choose between the two. If you are on a budget buy the H81 and get it professionally calibrated. Proper set-up will yield a far greater improvement for the money invested.

The big buck difference between the two is in the design of the cathode on the tubes for the X81. The cathode design is supposed to yield more constistent performance as the set ages. In accelerated test the X81s cathode is claimed to last over 20 years of continuous use. Unfortunately by that time the power supplies will be shot and there will be no phosphors left on the tubes. There really is no way to verify this claim other than to sit back compare them 5 or more years from now. But, if you fall into the better safe than sorry camp...

Regards,

Rick

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree!

That's what makes the comparison so bizarre. i actually had both of them setup next to each other, ISF calibrated, and identical HD sources feeding each set. It was not subtle. My next step will be to replace the HX and go from there.

Any other thoughts?

BTW - the Tos H81 is an amazing set for the money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have not compared the HX v. H but I did see a properly set-up and calibrated HX next to a properly set up and calibrated Sony XBR2. What I did notice about the HX in that comparison is that the picture from DVD source was much noisier than the XBR2. I was a little surprised at just how noisy it was.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I've had a 50H81 and 50HX81 basically side-by-side showing HD material and the HX clearly had superior resolution and more 'depth' to the image. I had 2 H81's on-hand, so I know I had a good unit. Perhaps the HX you saw was bad or poorly tuned?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's very helpful information - thanks - that's what I figured and hoped for................

I'm going to get another HX81 and hope for the best before going (back) to an H81 as the final choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.