AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 57h81 and love the picture. However, the glare from the cover is really bad. I can't take the protective cover off because I have a dog. So my thought was this. Can I order a cover for the 57hx81 and replace the standard cover? Would the anti-reflective cover from the hx fit on the h?

Also, would that make much of a difference?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The HX screen is no where near as anti-reflective as one would like. It is still very reflective in my eye and most others as well.

Can you use an after market protective plexiglass on the outside frame? It can hang there when you need it to ... and be removed when you have better control over the environment.

Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to avoid using a plexiglass cover. Not sure the wife would like the looks of this.

That's why I was thinking the hx cover. Some anti-reflective is better than none. Just not sure it would fit.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
If your dog is in the house, he should be well-trained enough to not bother the TV. My friend has a house dog, and he has never had a problem with the protective screen off. If it can't be trusted...it belongs outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is trained. But she is a Lab, with a very powerful tail. Plus if she sees a dog on TV she likes to run up to the screen and bark at it. Lots of dangerous possibilities.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
How true that is.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Heya gmorris...

I bet you didn't think you could get sage advice like being told your dog belongs outside when you asked a question regarding an anti-glare/protective screen for your TV.

Maybe you should rephrase your post so it's more obvious that you are asking a quesiton about what to do with your TV, not what to do with your lab...

Seriously though, I'd agree with monster a/v about trying to control the room lighting rather than trying to alter the TV...might get better results and maintain your warranty.

I too have a 85 pound lab and a 57HX81 (big reason I bought this set was the protective screen), although my lab doesn't touch the screen, my 20 month old daughter on rare occasions will....maybe she belongs outside too?

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do have blinds on the windows, but they only do so much. The next step would be to get drapes, but we are trying to avoid that if possible.

My lab is well behaved (and doesn't belong outside) so I'm not that worried about her. However, she is a DOG and I'm worried about her accidentally doing something.

Didn't think about the warranty issue. Now I'm leaning towards returning the 57h81 and getting the 57hx81.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm sure your lab is well behaved...I was just joking around with you in MY post...

My lab is well behaved too. The biggest thing I have to worry about with him is stealing my (or my wife or daughters) food if we're not paying close enough attention.

I was able to buy my 57HX81 from my local Tweeter for $2350 ($2599 with 3 year Tweeter performance package/warranty) about 3 weeks ago or so.

ABT Electronics offered me the same, $2599 with a three years deal.

In any event, good luck to you.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I like opaque accordion pleated shades for light control. They pull up to a very small profile, only let in a little light at the edges, and don't use a roller. With decorative side drapes or a baffle strip, even the edges are handled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.