AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Toshiba 57H82 from Sears for $2300 (Tax and Delivery Included) It seems like a very nice set.

Pros:

Great Picture

Nice Menu System

Cons:

1. No way to delete unused inputs from menu

2. No option to adjust Theatrewide Mode 1

3. No HD pip. (Very minor)

My question is how much better is the HDX model? I can get the HDX model from Crazy eddy for about $2400 delivered. Is it worth the hassle of returning the old one and buying the new one?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
HDX is better....

But no set is good enough to hassle with Crazy Eddie. Stay away. DO NOT BUY A RPTV from an unauthorized dealer like Crazy Eddie (especially CE).

Instead, get Sears to pricematch and give you the difference on the H82. If you feel like you have to have the HDX, find it locally or use Oncecall.com (only as a last resort, I bought from OneCall and still had a 4 month fiasco with a lemon).

·
Registered
807 Posts
57HDX82 is unquestionably the better set. It has a five element HCF Achromatic lens system instead of a 4 element lens system, it uses better guns, a better lenticular screen and has a superior wideband video amplifier. All these things add up to a better picture.

It is also DVI complete instead of upgradgeable. DVI upgrade, if you should decide to get one, will probably cost more than the price difference between the two TV's.

I don't have enough information to give an opinion on the retailers you have suggested. Here in the Chicago area, Abt electronics has an excellent reputation for mail order. You may consider checking their price.

Mike K.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Why do people buy RPTV's online?
Not that I necessarily agree....you can save quite a bit of money buying online. 7% sales tax (here in FL) on $3000 is a consideration as well....

That said, I am still willing to pay the tax difference and not much more in a B&M. I want them to be very close to the price+shipping from an internet site ($25-$50) before tax.

Otherwise I think the risk is worth savings...though I don't expect everyone to agree.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Frank,

Sears will pricematch most online dealers (but probably not the irreputable Crazy Eddie). If you have to go online...use OneCall.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I got Onecall to pricematch Lee's Video. My 50HDX82 was $2050 shipped.

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.