AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a Toshiba 57HC85 on display, but in trying to check it out, I can't find any info online. I've found some prices, and they seem relatively good. No specs, features, or comments on forums or newsgroups though. Toshiba doesn't have a single reference to it on their website. I found an article that points out that it is an effort at cost reduction through leaving the tuner out, but that's it.

This is my first step into the big screen arena. I guess it's probably been said a million times here, but WOW, this is confusing! This purchase is for general family viewing (cable and blockbuster night). Definitely non-videophile stuff, but I don't want junk. It's going in a 22' deep family room. Somewhat arbitrarily, I want to stay under $2,000 (the more under, the better as far as my marriage is concerned). I think I've ruled out all of the DLP models, as I think a 47 or 50 inch would be a little smaller that ideal.

I have Comcast regular service right now, I guess I'll upgrade to digital and HD.

With online pricing, this model looks pretty good bang for the buck wise.

Anyone have one? Know about it? Comparisons? Is it identical to another Toshiba model that has a tuner, so I can get some specs? Why doesn't Toshiba's website list it? That seems strange because the article that seemed to indicate it was new was a few months old.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I haven't looked too close for differences, but I think it's just the 57H84 without a tuner. The 51" version just went on display a few days ago where I work, so I think it's pretty new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes
I haven't looked too close for differences, but I think it's just the 57H84 without a tuner. The 51" version just went on display a few days ago where I work, so I think it's pretty new.

Thanks!

I'll check out the 57H84. That is just so strange that it's not even on Toshiba's website.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I too am looking at the 57HC85, because it’s priced under $1500 and that’s what my wife said I can spend :)

My main two concerns are:

1) I saw "CrystalScan HDSCâ„¢ (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p" and read it up converts everything to 1080i. Does that mess with the picture, especially with games that run at 720p?

2) Can anybody give a review on this TV; I can not seem to find one.

Thank you

Brad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_arth
I too am looking at the 57HC85, because it’s priced under $1500 and that’s what my wife said I can spend :)

My main two concerns are:

1) I saw "CrystalScan HDSCâ„¢ (All time 1080i) with User Selectable 540p" and read it up converts everything to 1080i. Does that mess with the picture, especially with games that run at 720p?

2) Can anybody give a review on this TV; I can not seem to find one.

Thank you

Brad

It does appear to be comparable (minus tuner and TouchFocus) to the 57H84. There's a very long H83/H84 owners thread. You might find comments there with regard to upconversion PQ and games.

I'm happy so far, but this is my first RP, so detailed comments wouldn't mean much, plus I'm not a gamer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.