AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Toshiba 16:9 HD ready RP that replaced the 56" series. It looks great after being on for about 5 days (low settings running HDnet). Colors are very close to dead-on. Depth is excellent. B&W source material (I use Woody Allen's "Manhattan") makes me think that grayscale is very close to where it should be. I also placed photographers gray scale cards around the screen to verify.

There's a front panel button labeled "Touch Focus" that makes a cute little green & blue scan light show - yet I highly doubt that it does as good a job as an experienced tweeker via the service menus.

Convergence is good yet if it can be dialed in anywhere near where my ISFer got my old TW65H80, I expect much better overall convergence, geometry and focus. Blacks are very solid. Another new circuit named ALS (Auto Light Sensor) detects the room light and adjusts contrast ... talk about messing up my settings! For Joe sixpack, it's not a bad thing to have as it brings CRT output way down when viewing in a darkened room.

The screen is still too shiny. This is a non issue in my room but will likely drive anyone with windows to the rear or sides of the screen nuts.

Image detail is quite good. HD material is, of course, beautiful. Source material coming in from both a DTC100 (OTA & sat) and Zenith ADS2001 (OTA only) DVD's run through an iScan external doubler look good yet it really does show the limitations of the doubler when you go from a 34" 16:9 direct view to a 57"er. My prior display was the Sampo.

Color out of the box is dialed too high, as is sharpness, as usual. There is definite overscan on all inputs, about 5% I would guess. Nothing that shouldn't be correctable via the service menu.

The remote: Blue backlighting is about the worst choice for middle aged eyes imaginable. You don't see this color on car dashes or fighter jets - do you? Switching inputs is no longer a many button-push operation. Instead you hit "Input". It brings up a selection menu from 0 to 6, each representing a different input (they can be re-labeled). Then you hit the # you want to watch. This will make Pronto macros a breeze. The remote learns commands from 5 other components and is preprogrammed for Tosh-branded DirecTV receivers, audio receivers, CD changers DVD players.

Audio: Who cares? Okay, maybe someone does. SRS WOW simulated surround is actually good enough to fool my son into thinking he's listening through the audio rack. There are 2 mute settings - the 1st press gives 1/2 volume while a 2nd push mutes everything. I find the 1st setting is usually fine for picking up the phone or listening to one of the women in the house tell us to "turn it DOWN!"

Cable/ antenna performance: About what one would expect. My AT&T signal is actually not bad. The internal doubler does a fairly good job of things. There are PIP/ multichannel/still functions that I'll likely never use.

All in all, a solid display for the money. A keeper that's the perfect size for my room and was very inexpensive, particularly when I checked the price vs. my 1st generation Tosh TW65H80 - granted that is a different beast.

I'll get a full ground up ISF performed in about a month once it's well broken in and will report back then.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Congrats on your new TV. I have a TW40X81 & plan to get a larger Tosh set later. I saw the 57H81 at Sears & although not calibrated optimally, it's PQ looked wonderful.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Hey Curtis - what does "inexpensive" convert to in Dollars? Purchase online or local merchant? Thanks for the report.
I think Curtis' point was not that he got a great deal for that set, but that that set is a great deal. IOW, relative to other sets in the same size/price/quality range, the Tosh 57hx81 is a great deal. As you know, everyone's definition of "inexpensive" is different. For example, one might say that compared to a Pioneer Elite PRO-520, this set is inexpensive, and since the quality is pretty good, it's also a "good deal" relative to the Elite.

If you just want to know what the best price to be had for this set is, then that's what you should ask... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.