Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am taking delivery of of Toshiba 61H70. It's a low end 4:3 TV. Recently, I found out that the TV won't do the anamorphic squeeze with 480p. This is why I am having a buyer's remorse and am leaning towards the Sony HS10 series. Then again, Sony has its fair share of disadvantages. My questions are as follows:

1. Will 720p/1080i dvd players be available soon (at a reasonable price)?

2. Will 720p signal trick the TV in thinking it's receiving HD signal -- such that it will do the squeeze?

Thank you for the great forum!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sbkim:
1. Will 720p/1080i dvd players be available soon (at a reasonable price)?
No.

Quote:

2. Will 720p signal trick the TV in thinking it's receiving HD signal -- such that it will do the squeeze?

Well, a 720p signal is an HD signal. I don't know what causes "the squeeze".

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think theres currently such a thing as a "Low end HDTV" (Well maybe the Samsung RPTV's). The 61H70 is certainly a fine set for HD and DVD playback. As noted recently, recently built Tosh H/HX series models even do 3:2 pulldown line doubling. While there are no 720P/1080i DVD players in existence and the Tosh (as well as many other sets) dont accept 720P input, they DO accept a 540P input generated from an HTPC. This will trigger the anamorphic squeeze function. IMHO the Tosh's, when properly calibrated are superior to the Sony sets on HD and DVD material. If you were to make a trade I would say trade it for a Tosh 56H80 Widescreen and forget your 16:9 worries altogether.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all for your replies!

Now, I have more questions. What are different ways of getting a better DVD signal (i.e., anamorhpic squeeze) with this TV?'

A few that I've learned so far are:

1. HTPC

2. Image scaler -- waaaayy too Expensive

3. 1080i DVD player -- not any time soon/expensive

Secondly, should I bother getting a progressive scan DVD? Since it has no squeez capability, I can't seem to justify getting one now. Does JVC have a speical feature to overcome this???

Finally, can Dish6000 accept signal from DVD/progressive and upconvert it to 1080i signal?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Finally, can Dish6000 accept signal from DVD/progressive and upconvert it to 1080i signal?
No, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway. Upconverting it to 1080i would introduce interlace artifacts. Native 480p from the progressive DVD player would be better.

Your HDTV probably upconverts a 480i or NTSC signal from a standard interlace DVD player to 480p.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.