AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read these tvs have grey bars instead of black bars. I ordered a 62HM84, but canceled it for this reason.

Is there any way to hack in and change the color of those bars??!! This would be the perfect set if not for this problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduvall7
From what I've read these tvs have grey bars instead of black bars. I ordered a 62HM84, but canceled it for this reason.

Is there any way to hack in and change the color of those bars??!! This would be the perfect set if not for this problem.

Thanks!
Some set top boxes can adjust the sidebars to black. Depends on your what your input source is.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
The bars are grey and will stay that way unless Toshiba decides otherwise. You need to keep in mind that since neither of these sets has a built-in ATSC or CableCard tuner, you will need to provide an outboard source for HD programming. If you're going with cable, you can set up your cable box to output SD sources as either 720p or 1080i, and your bars will be black then. I am not sure, but I believe satellite boxes may offer the same capability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be using HD Tivo, but I'm pretty sure you need to be able to change it on the TV. Anyone know how to do it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is no way to change it on the TV.

I use a SA3250 as set top box and there is an option to change gray bars to black. So the set top box sends a 16:9 pic with black bars instead of sending a 4:3 image and letting the tv display the grey bars. It works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.