AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance on this issue, but I recently purchased a Samsung 4061 LCD and love the PQ, but am having issues with PQ on DVD playback. Using a regular (480p) progressive scan DVD player, lots of dark scenes on DVD look terrible in terms of noise/grain/etc and the color doesn't look quite right.I'm guessing this is related to the TVs poor upscaling of the 480p image, so I've been looking at good 1080i/p upconverters. My question is this, how close can an upscaled DVD on Toshiba's A3 (in 1080i, then deinterlaced by the TV) look vs. a SD-DVD on a regular tube TV? I always thought DVDs looked great on my CRT, and want to get as close to that (or better) without having to buy actual HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray titles...Also, would the A3 even be worth it if my set has to deinterlace that signal because it is a 1080p panel? Should I be focusing on upconverters with a 1080p output?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
1) What kind of cables are you using. Depending on the TV HDMI or component cables are best. Next is s-video which can still look pretty good. Finally, composite will have the weakest video quality.

2) You describe many of the symptoms of a TV that has serious need of basic calibration. You may want to start by reseting the video settings and trying the defaults for movie or cinema mode to see if that helps. If that does not help and you have Netflix rent a copy of Digital Video Essentials and use that for calibration. Another thing you can try if you have hdmi or component cables is to output the DVD at 480i instead of 480p or vice versa depending on your current setting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts