AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

Thanks to Viking61 I was able to update my NTSC based Toshiba A30 to what is referred to as an A32.5. It is an A30 with the A35 firmware allowing some bitstream capability. I will link to the post that details which bitstreams work and don't work at the end.

My experience has been most excellent in terms of allowing bitstream, etc. You can also configure the A32.5 to work exactly like the A30 internally decoding and sending the high def audio out pcm.

Adding the extra features was straightfoward but only because of Viking61 going above and beyond the call of duty helping me and tweaking the firmware. In order to keep the A30 display as NTSC he had to tweak the NTSC versions of the firmware. Something he provided via private messaging with links to d/l.

If you have an A30 and would like to add bitstreaming, are not so concerned about region free, I recommend doing this conversion.

List of bitstream supported:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/8111615-post113.html

Details about how to do this for an EP30.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/hd-dv...-firmware.html

If you have an A30 and are interested I would suggest a private message to Viking61 on the avforums via one of the links above.

Jim

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If it only bitstreams lossy codecs, i really see no reason to do this.

But props for being daring enough to experiment. I'm sure someone is thankful.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The practicality of it can certainly be debated. But if the ability to address the firmware of the Toshiba hd-dvd's can be addressed in a similar fashion as HKan has done with the Pioneer DV410's and others, then this could be a first step toward any number of customized firmwares which may improved sd-dvd playback, etc. What being able to update and A30 to an A32.5 demonstrates is that in fact it can be done because folks like myself have done it.

I am not a programmer and would not even imagine I could mess with the Toshiba's firmwares. But it obviously is possible for someone who knows how to and there is a possible market for folks who own any number of these hd-dvd's who would like to keep moving forward.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts