AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked these at http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/A500 , but I thought it's also better to ask directly those that have had hands-on (plus I am impatient to get answers for these Q's):

does the HDMI have AUdio out? Is it 7.1? or is it 5.1? the A500 makes a good HTPC? capable of playing 1080p and Blu-ray smoothly, stutter-free? is screen resolution 1080p? A500 outputs 1080p/24p (or 24fps)???

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
As far as I know (which isn't all that far), the GPU in the mobile i3 processors is the same as the GPU in the desktop version. If that is the case, then you will get the same capability as a standard desktop i3. That is to say, it will do 7.1 HD audio over HDMI with the appropriate software and configuration. You should have no problem with 1080p video playback, with either hardware or software decoding.

However, in general, laptops do not make good dedicated HTPCs. If this is meant for mostly mobile use, then occasionally being plugged into a TV to serve as an HTPC is fine. If you're just looking for a dedicated HTPC though, you can get a much more ideal box for a lot less money. Laptops are not designed to be always-on, especially with the lid closed. You can have serious problems with heat and reliability. Not to mention all the extra hardware you're paying for (LCD display, battery, etc) that, as a dedicated HTPC, you won't ever need.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The i3 has built-in graphics. That will decode everything just fine. In fact, the i3 has more than enough power to decode everything in software without GPU assistance. A dedicated GPU is only necessary for gaming.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18161953

however, in general, laptops do not make good dedicated htpcs. If this is meant for mostly mobile use, then occasionally being plugged into a tv to serve as an htpc is fine. If you're just looking for a dedicated htpc though, you can get a much more ideal box for a lot less money. Laptops are not designed to be always-on, especially with the lid closed. You can have serious problems with heat and reliability. Not to mention all the extra hardware you're paying for (lcd display, battery, etc) that, as a dedicated htpc, you won't ever need.

+1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not a gamer here

will integrated graphics option plays lossless audio codec Dolby TrueHD, lossless DTS HD-MA ??? outputs 1080p/24p (or 24fps)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts