AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with my DVDs and the new Toshiba 57" HD 16:9 (57H81)

So far I have found:

1.78:1 - Looks perfect in 'Full' mode (no bars!)

1.85:1 - I think faces look a little fat, it seems to look correct in TW mode 2 (zoom with no distortion)

2.35:1 - Same as 1.85:1

Shouldn't I be watching all DVDs in Full mode? Has anyone put together a matrix of aspect ratios and TW modes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
For a second, forget about the aspect ratio of the movie itself. For purposes of deciding which mode to use on the set, it doesn't matter whether the movie is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. As long as it's a widescreen movie, you really only have one question:

Is it anamorphic or not?

If it's anamorphic, use "Full" mode. If it's not anamorphic, use Theater Wide 2.

For EITHER anamorphic or non-anamorphic movies, whether you see "black bars" or not depends on the aspect ratio of the movie. Many movies are 1.85:1. On these you will probably not see any bars at the top and bottom. About half the movies are 2.35:1. On these you will see small black bars at the top and bottom. This is true whether or not the disk is anamorphic.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Note that many anamorphic movies state on the jacket "enhanced for widescreen tv's" rather than anamorphic.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
It also depends on your DVD player. If your DVD player is progressive scan, you can leave the TV in full mode all the time and the DVD player will do the conversions for you. I have a JVC progressive scan player and when a DVD is non-anamorphic, the player automatically line doubles the image and blows it up to fill the screen making it look exacly like an anamorphic DVD. Looks much better than the Theater Wide 2 setting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I have found that, even when viewing Anamorphic 1.85:1 movies, I get bars in Full mode.

This might be due to the player I am using - a Playstation 2 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I have a Pioneer DVL-700 but I have not hooked it up yet since it only has S-Video outs.

Am I to understand correctly that if I get progressive scan, I won't get bars except on 2.35:1 movies?

·
Registered
381 Posts
With a progressive DVD player and a Tosh TW set the setting should be "Full". This combination always gives you the OAR of the film. In other words I always watch DVD's in "Full".

This means that there will be black bars on many movies. I don't find this disturbing because when I turn the lights down it's dark enough around the set that I can't really see the bars.

I use "Theater Wide" when viewing regular 4:3 broadcasts off the cable.

[This message has been edited by Paul Hives (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just because you have a progressive scan dvd player doesn't mean you always keep your Toshiba in Full mode. You still need to watch non-anamorphic dvd's in TheaterWide 2 mode. Now, if your dvd player features anamorphic scaling, then you can always keep it in Full mode, assuming anamorphic scaling on your player is set to "Auto".

·
Registered
9 Posts
ZAPH---

Did you go into the 'set-up' mode of your Playstation 2 and change it to 16X9 tv? It doesn't sound like you did.

This is a must, and will solve your 1:85 black bars as well as fat/skinny modes.

Enhanced dvd's as stated before should always be viewed in 'Full' mode with non-enhanced movies in Theater 2. Theater 1 & 3 both distort the geometry.

-M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skill - Yes I did set the PS2 to 16:9, I should have mentioned that. Sorry!

Jim, MANY thanks - you absolutely nailed it when you said:
Quote:
Is it anamorphic or not?

If it's anamorphic, use "Full" mode. If it's not anamorphic, use Theater Wide 2.
I did some exhaustive testing with a stack of discs and found this to be 100% correct. If anamorphic, Full mode is the only mode that looks "right." No bars on 1.78 or 1.85, small bars on 2.35 (much smaller than I would have had on 4:3.)

Non-anamorphic, TW2 mode for everything.

It seems very clear that anamorphic is superior. I (wrongly) assumed that most DVDs released these days were anamorphic, but this is obviously not the case. (Maybe 50% of my collection turned out to be anamorphic.)

Interesting findings, and I can finally put the issue to rest now that I understand it fully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.